Sunday, 28 August 2016

HAIL, CAESAR! (film) was colourful entertainment that worked as a comedy

Cast: Josh Brolin; George Clooney; Scarlett Johansson; Channing Tatum; Ralph Fiennes; Tilda Swinton; Alden Ehrenreich. 
Content Rating: PG 13 for some suggestive content and smoking. 
Year: 2016. 
Source: Rented. 
Director: Ethan Coen; Joel Coen. 

Synopsis: 

A Hollywood fixer in the 1950s works to keep the studio's stars in line.


I was so pleasantly surprised by this film. As a rule, I'm usually sceptical when it comes to none-comedy actors doing comedy, but this movie was delicious fun. And the actors definitely worked well with the humorous and quirky script they were given.



It's not a brilliant film – with little in the way of laughs (although there were definitely smiley moments) and only a few of its A-list cast getting decent screen time – but it was fun. Its parody of Hollywood's stereotypical films is delightfully obvious, and the cast carry the sometimes lagging and definitely frothy script with perfect performances. Brolin and Clooney without a doubt get the most screen time, but Tatum is utterly memorable when he's tap dancing on the table, and Ehrenreich is just pure *cringe*. In the best way ;)
The cast is incredible. George Clooney, Josh Brolin, Channing Tatum, Scarlett Johansson, Tilda Swinton, and Alden Ehrenreich lead the story forward, and give brilliant, stellar performances in roles that fit them perfectly. Brolin, especially, gives a refreshing and entertaining portrayal of a harassed director, and I enjoyed his performance immensely.
Visually, the film is refreshing and bright; shining with the rich glow of old Hollywood. Its costumes and props are beautifully on show from in front and behind the dusky theatre setting, and the actors radiant from such a backdrop. It's lovely to look at.
Overall, it was fun, relaxing, and well worth my time thanks to the excellent cast and bizarre, quirky moments. I "Hail!" this film : )

I give it: 3 and a half flowers! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)