Tuesday, 30 August 2016

SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN - by Lily Blake

Year Published: 2012 - by Poppy. 
Genre/s: Fantasy/romance ~ based on a movie. 
Pages: 220. 
Author: Lily Blake. 
Source: Bought.

Blurb:
A breathtaking new vision of a legendary tale. Snow White is the only person in the land fairer than the evil queen who is out to destroy her. But what the wicked ruler never imagined is that the young woman threatening her reign has been training in the art of war with a huntsman who was dispatched to kill her.


Overall, I really enjoyed it. That could also be because I loved the movie so much. Unlike the Red Riding Hood novel that was written after its movie - in this same kinda series, I guess you could say - this story was stronger, and the book worked better because of it.  


For all its faults, I actually really enjoyed the movie. 
And I'm happy to say the book was decent too (books don't have actors in them...... *cough* Kristen Stewart *cough*).  

Pros: 

- It was very entertaining and exciting; I was never bored. 

- Eric's backstory with his dead wife, Sara, was very touching, and I actually got quite emotional reading about her death, etc. I really felt the tragedy and pain of it, and it was very sad. 

- The writing was decent. There were some lovely descriptions, really lovely, and the action and sensory details were on point.   

Cons:

- Snow White did have the tendency to be in-consistent and flat. Every now and again she'd show some personality, but most of the time she dull. 

- It was very rushed. The scenes were over way too quickly and thus the drama was cut drastically. 

- There were loopholes, but I blame the movie - which came first - for those.  


I give it: 3 and a half flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)