Friday, 2 September 2016

ELEGY ( Watersong #4) - by Amanda Hocking

Year Published: 2012 - by Tor.
Pages: 542.
Genre/s: Paranormal/romance/urban fantasy/young adult. 
Author: Amanda Hocking. 
Source: Library. 

Blurb:
Gemma's life is slowly being destroyed. Cursed as a siren, she is struggling to escape a destiny of savagery and darkness. She's desperate to break the spell that has turned her into a monster and torn her away from the family- and the boy- she loves. But the alluring yet lethal sirens, Penn, Thea and the newly initiated Liv, have no intention of letting her go.


(First read in June 2016).


Overall, I love Daniel and Harper (especially Harper), I love the action and dialogue, and I love Marcy. Marcy was a REAL highlight :D 




I LOVE the cover SO much!! I actually prefer the cover to the book, to be honest – even though I did enjoy the book ;)

When I saw Elegy in the library, I just had to read it. I was literally panicking that someone would come up and grab it before I could……so I took it, even though I haven’t read Tidal - the third book in the series - first. 
I enjoyed it; probably more than Wake and Lullaby. Hocking’s writing is fast-paced, addictive, and easy to read – I basically sped through this book, and I was never bored. 

I LOVE Daniel & Harper and their relationship, and in a totally unrelated matter, I really like Marcy and Lydia too; Marcy is so hilarious. 
But although I love Daniel and Harper, Daniel wasn’t as nice in this book as he was in the previous ones. He seemed to have lost some of his charm and strength, and I got quite annoyed with him in places; even though I still ship him and Harper like hardcore. 

I still don’t like Alex and Gemma. Unlike Daniel and Harper, they have zero chemistry, and Alex is so darn flat that he’s just boring, boring, boring. Their relationship was seriously lacking, and Gemma’s character still annoys me.

I liked Thea, and I liked how she’s got depth. Her character was a very interesting one, and I wish she’d gotten her happy ending :( 

In terms of the mythology…nah……. I didn’t really follow it. It got very confusing, and while there is definitely something addictive about underwater mysteries and seductive sirens, it was hard to follow. 

Elegy was a lot more graphic than the previous books were (although I haven’t read Tidal yet, so yeah…). The violence was still thrilling and exciting and emotional, but the gore got a bit too much; some descriptions of the sirens’ killings were definitely uncomfortable and unsettling. 
Also, the sex scenes were very awkward and disturbing. Not to mention Penn is literally trying to have sex with Daniel against his will – and making a graphic show of it – but the making-out sessions between Alex and Gemma, and even eventually Daniel and Harper, were all a bit much. 
In addition, I don’t know if I’m the only one who’s complaining about this, but I for one am seriously tired of Hocking bringing up how the dudes look without their shirts on; she repeatedly has the girls ripping the guys’ shirts off, and in frequent scenes it’s like she has to mention how muscular they look in the shirt they’re currently wearing. Enough already. Sexual tension is fine, and it’s natural, but I don’t need it pushed in my face so much it’s like physical looks are all that matter. 

I give it: 4 flowers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)