Monday, 17 October 2016

FOOL ME ONCE - Harlan Coben

Year Published: 2016 - by Century. 
Pages: 387.
Genres: Mystery/thriller/adult
Author: Harlan Coben.
Source. Bought.
Goodreads: Fool Me Once

Blurb:
You think you know the truth. The truth is you know nothing. 

The international number one best-selling author of Tell No One and Six Years is back with his next impossible-to-put-down thriller.

If your husband was murdered, 
And you were a witness, 
How do you explain, seeing him on your nanny cam?
You thought you trusted him.
Now you can't even trust yourself.

Dark secrets and a terrifying hunt for the truth lie at the heart of this gripping new thriller.



Overall, I think a thriller fan would LOVE this, and while I did enjoy it, it wasn't really my kind of book.



My Mum is an avid Coben fan. Like, really avid. No, I mean really avid. And so I decided to see what all the fuss was about and pick up one of his novels to try myself.
I liked it :)

It was perfectly paced and insanely gripping. There was a delicious amount of sub-text, and it was very, very clever. I spent most of the night reading; I just had to know what happened (and yes, my own theories were constantly chucked out the window as Coben revealed twist after twist......yeah, yeah, I kinda feel cheated; my theories were good, ok? Heh.) 
The best thing about the book was how gripping it was. Dread constantly snaked under the words, the chilling tension crept through my mind as I scrambled on towards the end, and I was certainly never bored. 

The characters could've been fleshed out more. I feel like Coben's real genius lies in the cleverness of his stories, and while his plots are beautifully brilliant, I personally think his characters could've been better developed.
I found the climax a bit disappointing. BUT, again, that could be because I was hoping for more action. That said, mystery thriller isn't really my kind of genre, and so I while enjoy this book, it wasn't completely my cup of tea ;)    
BUT I highly recommend this to a thriller mystery fan. I can guarantee you'll love it! (don't sue me over that, though, 'kay?!)


I give it: 3 flowers! 



2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to see what the big fuss is all about. Someday, someday.

    ReplyDelete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)