Thursday, 13 October 2016

HEIR OF FIRE (Throne of Glass #3) - Sarah J. Maas

Year Published: 2014 - by Bloomsbury. 
Genres: High fantasy/romance/action/magic/young adult
Pages: 562.
Author: Sarah J. Maas.
Source: Library.
Goodreads: Heir of Fire

Blurb:
Consumed by guilt and rage, Celaena can't bring herself to spill blood for the King of Adarlan. She must fight back...

The Immortal Queen will help her destroy the king - for a price. But as Celaena battles with her darkest memories and her heart breaks for a love that could never last, can she fulfil the bargain and head the almighty court of Terrasen? And who will stand with her?
 


OH MY SHATTERED HEART.

(Edited slightly April 2017). 

Just a quick note before I launch into this short review: 
I love this cover, but the text is awful. Just awful. The bronze doesn't go with the green at all, and urgh.....it makes it look ugly.

Anyway. Sorry about that.  Just had to say it ;) 


What I Didn't Like: 

- Very much personally, I didn't like the witches. They were disgusting and horrible and yuck and I really didn't like them. But that's just completely personal; I was disgusted by them and I didn't enjoy reading their scenes.
- I feel like the first half of this book deserves 3 flowers and the last half deserves 5. I hate to say it, but I was SO bored during the first half of the book and then some; it was slow, tedious, and I found all the witch scenes very, very boring.     
- This isn't really a criticism, but I thought I'd mention it: Heir of Fire was a lot darker than the previous books in the series. I didn't really have a problem with that (I kinda like the darkness...... with the exception of the witches) but the change was evident.   

What I Liked:

- Brilliant character development. Wow. These beautifully flawed characters have really moved on from Throne of Glass, and in retrospect, I loved their journey. I also look forward to where the next book takes them. 
- There was so much more plot and mystery lurking in the shadows of Heir of Fire. It's heating up - haha, quite literally - and Maas's world-building only gets better.  
- It became so terrifying and intense near the end.  Maas balanced everything perfectly and I was totally sucked into Celaena's nightmare as well as the horrific scene that completely shattered my heart. I'll get to that in a moment........
- The action was spot-on and exhilarating. Celaena has definitely "grown into her assassin's body", at least the way I see it, and I'm finding her a lot more believable as a ruthless, no-nonsense killer.   
-  I LOVED Sorscha's character. Not to mention her relationship with Dorian was so tender and beautiful and GAH they just TOTALLY won me over. I adored them, and Dorian has become my new favourite character of the series. Which leads me to.......

SPOILER ALERT!: 
.................................
Oh my heart that scene where Sorscha dies absolutely ravaged my soul. I was sobbing and sobbing and my family was rather shocked okay but heck I could not cope, I was completely broken for Dorian. I haven't cried like that for a long time but gosh thank you Maas for winning me over. I will say, unashamedly, that Dorian is the reason I'm sticking with this series. His relationship with Sorscha - and the gut-wrenching scene at its finale - brought out a side of his character that I completely fell in love with. I'm Team Dorian, my heart aches, but wow that scene was incredible. It was also REALLY satisfying to see how Dorian reacted; hell has broken loose, but thank you, Maas, for respecting this short-lived couple.    


I give it: 4 flowers! 

(And my soul's aching......)



8 comments:

  1. I tried to comment on this 3 times but I was on my phone and kept doing silly things! But here I am AGAIN!

    I do remember the first part of this book going slow, but by the end of it I didn't care anymore. I was hooked - SJ Maas owned my soul.

    Personally I quite like the witches! I think it's in the next book though that I really came to like them a lot. When are you picking up the next one??? :)

    I'm glad you really liked this one overall. Remind me - have you read A Court of Mist and Fury?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh shame! Haha thanks for not giving up, lol ;)

      I'm glad you liked the witches! I guess they just weren't my taste.
      I haven't read ACOTAR or Mist and Fury yet :( At my library they have Mist and Fury, but I don't want to read it until I've read ACOTAR, and I don't know when that'll be. Have you read them?

      I actually don't know when I'll be able to read Queen of Shadows; my library doesn't have it. BUT I'm probably gonna try read Assassin's Blade next, since they have that :)

      Thanks for the comment! <3

      Delete
  2. This was the last book in the ToG series that I read before I realized that this series wasn't for me. Idk I was just so bored throughout this book that by the end I was just done. Even if the ending was really intense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I'm sorry about that :( To be honest, a part of me still feel undecided about it....I think it's the originality that really attracts me; it's so different from other fantasy young adult out there, it's refreshing.

      Delete
  3. Heir of Fire is one of my favourites in the series and it's mostly because of the character that you mentioned. Maas' characters changed a heck of a lot over three books and Heir of Fire really helped shape them. I know you weren't a massive fan of Chaol but I am SO GLAD that you love Rowan!!!! He is literally one of my favourite male characters and that's saying a lot. Great review!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay that's great! Yeah I agree, they really do change :)
      Haha awesome! I've actually changed quite a bit since then, and I rather like Chaol now! Lol. But it's awesome you love Rowan! (And he does sound SO hot ;)
      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I was bored to tears during the witch sections in the beginning, but then they began to grow on me...
    (But not really until the next book.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! But yeah, they did :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)