Saturday, 8 October 2016

ONE HUNDRED NAMES - by Cecelia Ahern

Year Published: 2012 - by HarperCollins.
Genres: Contemporary/romance/fiction.
Pages: 336.
Author: Cecelia Ahern.
Source: Library.
Goodreads: One Hundred Names. 

Blurb:
The new novel from the bestselling author. Journalist Kitty Logan's career is being destroyed by scandal. Simultaneously, she faces the death of her mentor and friend of ten years, Constance, who has guided and taught her everything she knew. All Kitty is left with is a file in Constance's office: a list of one hundred names. There is no synopsis, no explanation, nothing else to explain who these people are. The story Constance planned to write is simply a mystery. Kitty sets out not only to track down the people on Constance's list, but to find out what connects them. And, in the process of hearing ordinary people's stories, she starts to understand her own... 


Overall, I was, once again, swept away by the magic of Ahern's storytelling.

It was a slow start and I actually thought I'd put it down because I was so bored. But I'm SO glad I stuck with it because it was amazing. 

Kitty was such a bright, animated character, and she was surrounded by equally, wonderfully, eccentric characters. Steve easily became one of my book boyfriends (though he's much too old for me...) and I thought he was actually quite a lot like Mr. Knightley from Jane Austen's Emma.  

Ahern has a lovely way of bringing out the magic within people, and she seems to truly feel for all her characters with her whole heart and soul. Towards the end I was totally entranced and enveloped in the warmth and excitement of Kitty's 'road-trip', and the humour and beauty of it all was easily enough to make me smile and fall in love.   

There were only two cons I found (excluding the slow beginning):
- The grammar was a bit 'off'. At the start it was rather distracting. 
- I skim-read most of the descriptions and big narration sections because they were really boring. They weren't quite info dumps, but Ahern does tend to do most of her revealing of backstory, etc, through narration rather than dialogue. And to be honest, I wish she wouldn't. It makes the narration info 'dumps' heavy and difficult to get through.      


I give it: 4 flowers! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)