Saturday, 29 October 2016

THE SCARLET LETTER - by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Year Published {This edition}: 1994 - by Penguin Books.
Genres: Classics/fiction/historical.
Pages: 240.
Author: Nathaniel Hawthorne. 
Source: Borrowed.
Goodreads: The Scarlet Letter.

Blurb:
Set in the harsh Puritan community of seventeenth-century Boston, this tale of an adulterous entanglement that results in an illegitimate birth reveals Nathaniel Hawthorne's concerns with the tension between the public and the private selves.



The Scarlet Letter was not an easy read, and while I didn't exactly enjoy it, its heroine was unforgettable in the best way. 



This book was not an easy read. Until about halfway, I was really bored, and even when I'd gotten past that and started to really enjoy it, I still had to seriously concentrate to understand what was going on.

It was a tragic, frankly sexual, and ultimately beautiful novel. Hawthorne's intimate portrayal of the human character was both enlightening and disturbing. I found it very interesting to learn about that kind of Puritan culture and society, so I can definitely say I learnt a lot.

A quick note: I found Hester's daughter, Pearl, very annoying. Just saying ;)  

But I loved Hester. She was a strong, feisty heroine, and I respected and admired her so much. Her attitude to her sin in retrospect was very good and the way she regretted it wasn't just black and white; what she'd done was wrong, but it was sad to see how everything unfolded, and also admirable to see how she analysed her mistakes and learnt from them.
     

This is just one of the quotes I loved: 





I give it: 3 flowers! 










2 comments:

  1. This is one of the first classics I ever read as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. It is a tragic and infuriating, but is also a great look at the sexism of the times.
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, too!
      And yes, that's so true; beautifully put :)

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)