Monday, 28 November 2016

CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE (film) was disappointing as a comedy

Year: 2011.
Cast: Steve Carell; Ryan Gosling; Emma Stone; Julianne Moore; Marisa Tomei; Kevin Bacon.
Directors: Glenn Ficarra and John Requa.
Source: Bought.
Content Rating: PG 13 for coarse humour, sexual content, and language.
IMDB: Crazy, Stupid, Love

Synopsis:
A middle-aged husband's life changes dramatically when his wife asks him for a divorce. He seeks to rediscover his manhood with the help of a newfound friend, Jacob, learning to pick up girls at bars.



My Review:

I admit, I would never have wanted to see this movie if it hadn't been for the amazing cast that caught my eye. Romantic comedy just isn't my kind of movie.


What I Liked:  

The cast definitely made the movie worth watching. In fact, the film would have sucked without the likes of Steve Carell, Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling, Marisa Tomei and Julianne Moore.  Carell's comic timing is excellent, Stone and Gosling's chemistry beautifully on point, Moore and Tomei's acting strongly committed to their characters.
The end/climax "fight/confrontation was the best thing about the movie. It was funny, busy, outrageous, and satisfying. I loved it.

What I Didn't Like: 

Everything was watered-down; the comedy, in particular. As a whole, the film felt bland, very boring, and the cinematography was equally dull and lifeless. I was very bored until that end confrontation. I barely laughed, I barely smiled, and I even considered turning the film off. It was boring.
Just to bear in mind, this film was prompting all the wrong things: adultery, unhealthy fixation, sleeping with whoever you like whenever you like, and it was, some times very much so, sexist. A number of times the attitude displayed from the men was "if you want it, get it." More accurately, "if you want her, get her."
Admittedly, it ended well with everyone realising their mistakes and changing that original attitude slightly. The adultery didn't win, nor did the playboy lifestyle. Carell and Moore's characters reconciled, which was a refreshing take on what you'd expect, and Gosling's character finally realised the error of his ways and started a healthy relationship with Stone's character.          


Crazy, Stupid, Love was a twist on what you'd usually expect from a story like this, but to fully work it needed more humour and more action.   



I give Crazy, Stupid, Love: 2 and a half flowers






6 comments:

  1. This doesn't really sound like the type of movie I'd watch, but I love the way you reviewed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it wasn't really my thing either :(
      Thanks though! And have a lovely Monday :)

      Delete
  2. Rom-com is not my thing either, but I am sad that you did not like it :(
    Prabhleen@ http://booksarelife987.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that :( And thanks.
      Hope you have a lovely week ahead :)

      Delete
  3. I've watched this movie, and I agree, it wasn't really great, but I thought it was a fun movie to watch :)

    Your blog is amazing! :)

    Jenny @ worldofabibliophile.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you didn't like it either :( But yeah, it definitely had its fun moments.

      Aww thank you! <3
      Have a fantastic week:)

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)