Saturday, 26 November 2016

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS - by John Green

Year Published: 2012 - by Dutton Books
Pages: 313.
Genre: Young adult/romance/contemporary/fiction
Author: John Green.
Source: Library.
Goodreads: The Fault in Our Stars

Blurb:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.




My Review:


As I type this review, I know I'm in the minority of those who weren't blown away by this book.
And the thought is intimidating.
When so many people love this book and it has basically become a classic, I feel bad for saying I don't like it.  I came to it unbiased, ready to love it, and...well......the love never came.
So here's my review.


What I Liked:

It was perfectly paced, with many 'make you smile' lines, although nothing that made me laugh out loud or anything. It was sad, it did make me cry at the end, but I cry very easily, lol; I was actually surprised to find myself crying, because I didn't feel connected to the characters or even that sympathetic with them.
Green's characters are always quirky. And I liked Hazel's character; to an extent. I liked that she was introverted and liked reading, but otherwise I couldn't get myself to really feel for her.
I loved Hazel's mother. She was probably my favourite character (actually, the only character I really liked). It's hard to explain why I like her so much, but maybe it's because she just seemed like such a lovely person and mother. And that she's the kind of character I can imagine will live on after you turn the last page; the kind of character who you just know will continue to live a three-dimensional life. Personally, she left more of an impression on me than Hazel did.
When I came to this book, I admit I was expecting a morbid, sickly, rendition of a doomed romance. To Green's credit, it certainly wasn't.  It wasn't 'a cancer book', if you know what I mean, and by no means was it overly depressing or offensive or dark.


What I Didn't Like:

The romance.
Gus.
Sorry to say, but I just couldn't get behind Hazel and Gus's relationship. It felt false, coincidental, and too good to be true. I thought the whole backstory with his previous girlfriend was a very weak subplot, and while some authors excel at quirky, unique dialogue, it just didn't work for this book; between these characters.  And as a result, their exchanges felt false and unrealistic, and their romance fake.
Gus himself was a weird, unlikable character. He felt 'out of this world' - not in a good way - and almost a little perverse at times.


This is my favourite passage in the whole book. It's hard to say why I love it so much, I guess it's just because it feels so real; and it portrays Hazel's mom so beautifully :) That's just my random opinion!




I give The Fault in Our Stars: 2 flowers


















8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't like the book :(

    I've never read it, but sometimes I do read a book that the critics say is "all that," and get to the last page with a grimace on my face wondering if I am the only person in the world who didn't like it. But we all look for something different when we're reading, and it's great to get a variety of opinions on books.

    And seriously, I have never found a book/movie review blog that has SO many posts a month. All the stuff you have here so far is like a pot of gold; keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true. It is great that everyone has different opinions(obviously) but it is easy to feel guilty when you don't fall in love with something like so many other people have.

      Aw thanks Audrey, that's so kind of you to say :) Thank you! <3

      Delete
  2. Awwwwwww. :D 2 stars? That is a bit surprising. But hey, I'm not complaining. I never read this one (or watched the movie) and won't. I don't like reading these tough-issue contemporary novels! Sure, you'll get hit in the feels (or you're supposed to), but life is sad enough as it is. It's too bad the romance didn't do anything for you. :o

    Fantastic review! <3

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I know! I feel so disappointed :(
      You've definitely got some valid points there. I'm the same when it comes to these type of books, but I just wanted to read this one because it's so well known, etc.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Aah, I liked this book but that's fine if you don't, really! I know some people who didn't like this book either. One of my friends even called it "pretentious" which... I mean I'm not gonna lie, Gus was super pretentious but I feel it was also an accurate representation of a teen trying to be deep LOL.

    But hey at least you gave it a try! :)

    Chiqui @ yalitreads.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I can definitely see why it would be called pretentious, lol.
      But yeah, you have a point there. Still, I just couldn't like it, and I wish I did ;)

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting :)

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the book Amy! such contemporary novels aren't really my thing but I was feeling awkward about being the person who hadn't read the fault in our stars coz everyone seems to have read it! Now i'm glad I didn't read it :) From your review i can certainly conclude that this isn't my kinda book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt EXACTLY the same way before I read it, and yeah, contemporaries aren't really my thing either.
      Haha ok :) Yeah, I'm with you on that ;)
      Have a lovely Tuesday!

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)