Saturday, 5 November 2016

THE HELP (film) was a masterpiece that boasted a magnificent ensemble of leading ladies

Cast: Viola Davis; Jessica Chastain; Emma Stone; Octavia Spencer; Bryce Dallas Howard; Allison Janney. 
Year: 2011.
Director: Tate Taylor.
Content Rating: PG 13 for thematic material.
Source: Bought.
IMDB: The Help

Synopsis:
An aspiring author during the civil rights movement of the 1960s decides to write a book detailing the African American maids' point of view on the white families for which they work, and the hardships they go through on a daily basis.


The Help was phenomenal, and has easily become one of my favourite films.




I read the book of The Help earlier this year and LOVED LOVED it. I've already re-read it a few times now. 
So naturally I was dying to watch the film. And, come on, EMMA STONE, JESSICA CHASTAIN......not to mention BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD and VIOLA DAVIS! AH that cast! Stone and Chastain are two of my absolute favourite actresses and I just NEEDED to see this film; it looked like absolute perfection.
Ok, enough fangirling. 

It was an amazing film. The cinematography was lovely, the scenery absolutely gorgeous, the soundtrack wonderful, and the pacing perfect. The humour made me laugh out loud more than once, and yes, I cried my guts out too; towards the end it was just so bittersweet :( 

The film was vibrant, bright, colourful, and beautiful. The dresses worn by the white ladies were so pretty and colourful, and every woman was dressed in the colour and pattern that suited her looks while keeping with the time period. 

Inevitably, the film didn't dive as deep into the racial issues as the book did. It could have dusted off the sugar coating a bit as well. 
BUT it was still so powerful, and gave some strong thought-provoking and eye-opening moments.     


NOW THE ACTING BECAUSE I HAVE TO TALK ABOUT THIS CAST. 
Wow just wow. Every one of these amazing ladies gave it their all and acted the heck of their roles. Between Bryce Dallas Howard's energy, Octavia Spencer's spot-on facial expressions, Viola Davis's powerful presence, Jessica Chastain's passion and comical delight, and Emma Stone's radiant shine and quirkiness, every woman was utterly unforgettable. Chastain and Davis were both very deserving of their Oscar nomination for their roles, and Spencer was equally deserving of her win, but I do believe Dallas Howard and Stone gave performances that were just as rich and powerful. 
This masterpiece deserved more Oscar recognition.
  
There was amazing chemistry between everyone in the film. The secondary actors also delivered incredible performances; namely Sissy Spacek, who gave the film some of its most witty and humourous moments.    

PLEASE WATCH THIS MOVIE! 


I give it: 4 and a half flowers!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)