Thursday, 10 November 2016

THE LEGEND OF TARZAN (film) was enjoyable, but underwhelming

Cast: Alexander Skarsgrad; Margot Robbie; Christoph Waltz; Samuel L. Jackson.
Director: David Yates.
Year: 2016. 
Content Rating: PG 13 for sequences of violence, action, some sensuality, and brief rude dialogue.
Source: Rented. 
IMDB: The Legend of Tarzan

Synopsis:
Tarzan, having acclimated to life in London, is called back to his former home in the jungle to investigate the activities at a mining encampment.


The Legend of Tarzan was surprisingly refreshing, and yet it lacked focus and botched Jane's character :(



This is a hard film to review. I was eager to fall in love with it, but I didn't, and yet it's still hard to analyse why I didn't.
I'll try my best at getting my thoughts across :) 

Pros:
- The performances were strong and believable. Skarsgrad was a perfect Tarzan, and Robbie was capable of so much more as Jane; if only her character had been better written. Waltz was in the kind of villainy role he always seems to play, and while it was cliched, he certainly didn't act badly.   
- The cinematography was brilliant. 
- It was exciting and enjoyable.  


Cons:
- It was a hard retelling to buy into. It was very forgettable, and the story/plot was blurred. In addition, it lacked focus. What was its point? The closest it ever came to answering that question was laying emphasis on Tarzan and Jane's relationship more than anything else; suggesting that perhaps the story's message was that true love will always prevail.  Again, unfortunately, Jane's character jeopardised and weakened that particular theme.  
- The dialogue was unoriginal and very boring. 
- The flashbacks were boring and cluttered up the main story. I know they were there for us viewers to try gain perspective, but they were just annoying and tedious. 
- Physical action ( I mean like punches, kicks, fighting) was constantly avoided. When there was action, it was over too quickly. Also, I found the climactic ending fight very underwhelming. It was over far too quickly and hardly anything happened. (Although...Tarzan did get a few good swings in - pun intended).    
- There were a number of very cheesy parts. The CGI was unbelievable, and all scenes with the 'fierce' animals were cheesy and hard to suspend disbelief for. 
- They ruined Jane's character. Sure, she was feisty, but ultimately she was reduced to a captured damsel who played no role in helping her husband. Robbie is a lovely actress and she really tried her best with Jane, but in the end the character left no impression on me whatsoever.   

The cons do outnumber the pros, and yet I can't bring myself to dislike this film as much as I feel I should. It was exciting, I did enjoy it, but its flaws were hard to miss :( 

I give it: 3 and a half flowers!


6 comments:

  1. Great review. I can't disagree with any of your points however I think I was in the mood for taking things at face value when I watched it and I enjoyed all the good things and managed to completely overlook the rest ;) The cast really was good, and I was entertained throughout.

    Great review! Glad you got to watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Oh I totally understand what you mean; I get so annoyed with myself sometimes cos I just want to enjoy the guilty pleasure of a movie or book but then these negatives start glaring in my face and I can't :( Lol.

      Thanks again! Me too, and I'm glad you enjoyed it too :)

      Delete
  2. Huh. I really wanted to see this movie before it came in theatres, but then I never did. I read an AMAZING review of the movie - HERE - and I'm pretty sure if I ever see the movie, it would be solely to ogle Alexander. :D

    Have a wonderful weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I've just read that review ;) And yes, he was hot; not exactly my type, but hey I'd take it :)
      Thank you, you too!

      Delete
  3. Tbh, I was never a fan of story that followed Tarzan, but I loved watching movies as a kid because of animals and nature. If cinematography is brilliant, then I guess it will match my expectations, bc the only thing I expect are beautiful nature and sounds, as for story, I don't expect much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting to hear :)
      Yeah the story isn't great at all, but I'm sure you'll like the visuals :)
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)