Tuesday, 29 November 2016

THE TIME OF MY LIFE - by Cecelia Ahern

Year Published: 2011 - by HarperCollins
Genres: Adult/romance/contemporary/magic realism/womens fiction/humour
Pages: 392.
Author: Cecelia Ahern.
Source: Library.
Goodreads: The Time of My Life

Blurb:
Lucy Silchester has an appointment with her life – and she’s going to have to keep it.

Lying on Lucy Silchester’s carpet one day when she returns from work is a gold envelope. Inside is an invitation – to a meeting with Life. Her life. It turns out she's been ignoring it and it needs to meet with her face to face.

It sounds peculiar, but Lucy’s read about this in a magazine. Anyway, she can’t make the date: she’s much too busy despising her job, skipping out on her friends and avoiding her family.

But Lucy’s life isn’t what it seems. Some of the choices she’s made – and stories she’s told – aren’t what they seem either. From the moment she meets the man who introduces himself as her life, her stubborn half-truths are going to be revealed in all their glory – unless Lucy learns to tell the truth about what really matters to her.
 



My Review:



Ahern is a magical writer. Every story she writes is heartfelt, devoted, and wholehearted. She never holds back, and she never disappoints. She is so connected to her characters and her tale that her readers are easily swept along by the magic she weaves through the pages. It's almost impossible not to become as won over by her tale as she is committed to it.

Lucy was a gloriously fun, three-dimensional heroine. She was quirky, unique, and lovable. Ahern never goes with the stereotypes, and every character in this book was lovingly real, rounded, and unique.

The story was as unique and creative as Ahern's always are. Her imagination is amazing, and her character development is excellent. She believes in her story so much that it shines through the words on every page. 
Some parts were very funny, and some very sad. Ahern balances both brilliantly.


Two tiny negatives:
-  Ahern tends to do info dumps when there isn't any dialogue. As a result, some parts were a little - just a little - boring. I believe she could have showed more backstory and character info through speech, rather than narrative.
- Personally, I didn't like the character of Life. I just found him to be annoying.
 

I HIGHLY recommend this beautiful novel. The Time of My Life is absorbing, magical, and ethereal. Get ready to be swept away. Ahern will not let you down.



I give The Time of My Life: 4 flowers!






4 comments:

  1. Yya! Your review is up :) I'm glad you liked it! Yes I see what you mean about Life. I personally found him annoying in the beginning but I kinda warmed up to him. And I also kinda grudging accepted that he is kinda intelligent and good at his line of work(which is not really an easy job) :P yay for Cecelia Ahern's novels! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      That's interesting to know. I didn't like him at all, but I'm glad you warmed up to him :) But yeah, he is good at his job! Lol ;)
      Amen to that! <3

      Delete
  2. I love your photos so much! You are so talented, omfg!! Also, I have been eyeing this book for a while now, and your review convinced me to buy it. SOON. THE TIME WILL COME Y'ALL.
    Prabhleen @ Booksarelife987

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, I'm trying to improve :)
      Yes YES READ IT! Hope you get to it soon, it's so worth it. I'd love to know your opinion about it.
      Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)