Friday, 25 November 2016

Things Writers Can Relate To / Writing: Gift or Curse?!

Another post keeping with the NaNo theme.
 For those of you who love to write, which of the things I've listed below are things you've experienced or been faced with or can just basically relate to? Let's chat, writers! 





So you know that feeling when your family wants to go out, or you have to go to this social event that you really don't want to go to, and no one gets that you actually want to get serious with your writing and do that instead?  I mean come on! Why does no one understand that you're serious about writing?!   
(When I'm rich and famous you'll see......)

But...

"If you have other things in your life—family, friends, good productive day work—these can interact with your writing and the sum will be all the richer."

– David Brin





Is there a limit to how many cups of coffee I can drink during writing? Is there is there is there?
Forget it, I wouldn't be able to stick to limits anyway...... 




Why is it that a bestselling author can write a very simple sentence and when I try it, it turns to mush? WHY 




*reading a current page of brilliance* It's beautiful, it is, it really is, and I'm in love with it. I think I've finally hit the jackpot. *New York Times here I come*
Until a day later when I look over it again and WHAT IS THIS *sobs* 

But...
"It is perfectly okay to write garbage—as long as you edit brilliantly."
– C. J. Cherryh




There is nothing more frightening for a writer than a blank page. 
"I don't think I can hit 10 words, let alone 80,000! I mean, it's all white and empty and scary......"

But...  

"A blank piece of paper is God’s way of telling us how hard it to be God."
– Sidney Sheldon




When you've dived so deep into your tale and your characters and you just have to share them with the world: 
"Why does no one want to talk about my babies?"



Your family and friends see a boring, cement, drab office building. You see an epic, bloody, action-packed arena just waiting for characters to jump over chairs, hide under desks, leap through windows. You can taste the sweat, the fear, see the glass shattering over the carpet......   
This is a beautiful place.
Inspiration strikes any time, any place... 



When you're crying because of the beauty and tragedy of what you've written: 
"How do I explain the tears to my family so they won't disown me?"  
Keep the pain inside, folks. Till everyone else's crying too ;) 



I want to get published. It's my dream, my goal.  But...
Publisher: "So I'll take a look at your work. See what I can do."
Me: *clutches pages* *whispers* "No one must see this trash......"




Friend: "So what's your book about?"
Me: "Oh, it's a Rapunzel retelling. A fairy tale retelling."
Friend: "Sounds cool!" 
Me: *thinks to self* "YOU HAVE NO IDEA! It's got action, romance, it's emotional and tragic and my heroine's badass and my guy's swoon worthy and and and and
Me: *smiles calmly* "Thank you."



And now, to end on a positive note for all those word-lovers out there: 









Share your thoughts, writers! Can you relate to any of these scenarios? Anyone else doing NaNo, and if so, how's it going? 



6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this is so awesome and true, Amy! That "Not Good Enough" one is like my life. I think "wow, this is perfect!" then I look at it the next day and realize "this actually sucks." Good thing there's editing XD

    "It's My Baby" backfired on me this month, because I started missing the characters from my other novel. My Nano ones suddenly looked so dull...good thing it's almost the end of the month ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Haha shame :( Yeah, first drafts are 'urgh' but editing always helps.

      Ah no, sorry about that! I also feel like that sometimes, especially if my present characters are nasty people and then I long for my nice ones :)
      Hope the rest of your novel goes well, I'll be thinking of you. Happy writing, you can do this!

      Delete
  2. Such a great post Amy!! I can relate with just about everything except caffeine :P I'm more of a chocolate eater while writing!! And you know sometimes you get this awesome idea for a plot but realize someone has already done it??AARRGGHH!! And inspiration! Omigosh I see inspiration where normal people see garbage :P And I love my writing the moment I write it, next moment it's all what the hell is this??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Uma!
      Lol, yeah I think I should've just said food or chocolate or pretzels ;)
      Oh my word I totally forgot about that one! That is SO true, I get it all the time :( It's so frustrating, URGH. Sometimes I feel like there're no original ideas left.......
      Haha yeah!
      Have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete
  3. I love this! I've never done nano, so I can't completely relate to all of these, but I love the "good not good" one. That happens to me so often, when I read something I've written and think it's amazing, and then read back over it a few days later, and gawk at it in horror.

    Also, I just added you on Goodreads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! <3 Glad you relate (and not so glad because they aren't exactly positive! Lol). And I'm totally the same :)

      Yay! Thanks, I just accepted! Have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)