Sunday, 13 November 2016

What I've Been Up To: Reading, Watching, Writing...


I hope you've all had a fantastic week :) For the readers, I hope you've sold your soul to some beautiful characters and stories; to the watchers, I hope you've been carried away (but not too far) by some awesome movies; and for the writers, I hope you've nailed some serious words for NaNoWriMo ;)

  So I watched one movie and finished one book this week. Yay! The Legend of Tarzan was an enjoyable but disappointing film, and here's my review.  I also finished the amazing book of Room, and I'll be reviewing that tomorrow.

Reading...


Ok, so I know I said I'd only read one book this month because my writing is supposed to be priority. Well, the library happened. And I may or may not but definitely did take out three new books. Because I had to. *sighs* 
But I'm only going to read them one at a time. A compromise ;)

I'm really intimidated about reading these books! They're both so popular and well loved that I'm just very nervous to see what I think of them. I'm sure I'll like Queen of Shadows , though; I've enjoyed Celaena's journey thus far :)
The Fault in Our Stars I'm more hesitant about. I read Paper Towns a few weeks ago and did not like it at all.  




Writing...

This is week two of NaNoWriMo, and yesterday I PASSED 20,000 WORDS! I am so happy :) 
I've managed to hit my daily word goals every day, even though I really struggled writing on Friday. Dialogue is my weakness, my serious weakness, and it's the kind of thing I can only write when I'm inspired. I can't just sit down and type out a conversation between my characters because then it turns out stilted and doesn't flow :(   I have to be inspired. 

My NaNo novel is a Rapunzel retelling, and here's the mock cover I had fun designing: 
(hehe, notice my 'brilliant' pen name...) 



And here's a tiny, very rough and unedited excerpt:



How's your week been? What are you writing or watching or reading?!  


12 comments:

  1. I've not read The Fault in our Stars because am not sure how much I'll like it. I like emotional reads but from what I hear about the book from friends, I feel it isn't really my kind of book.

    I love your excerpt and my mind is reeling wondering about the story!!I love retellings! Good luck with Cracked!

    I'm currently reading Nevernight by Jay Kristoff and then will be reading Six of Crows (finally). November this year is a busy month for me so I couldn't take part in NaNoWriMo but will do next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that. Yeah, I wonder what it'll be like...

      Ah thank you! That's so kind! Thanks! <3

      AH SIX OF CROWS! Oh I hope you absolutely adore that, I'm dying to read it too! Hope you enjoy and I will definitely look out for your review!
      Ah, sorry about the busyness :( Well, I look forward to hearing about your novel for next year :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read the Fault in Our Stars or any other books by the author, I didn't like the movie and I don't think I would like his writing much. But I do love Sarah J. Maas and all her books <3 Its one of my favourite series out there. I hope you enjoy all the books you got :)
    New GFC follower, I love your blog :)
    Aneta @ Angelic Book Reviews 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really interesting to hear. I haven't watched the movie, but I don't think I'll like it either.
      Ah yes I adore Maas's writing! Glad you do too!
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Ahh! You got Queen of Shadows! Yaaaaassssss! Please love it. 😄

    I love the cover you designed. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH I know I'm so excited! Lol, yeah I'm definitely feeling the pressure ;)

      Thank you! Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

      Delete
  4. I went crazy this week and started Nano eleven days in. I've been dashing out words like a madman.... But I still had time to finishing reading A Time to Rise, last book in the Out of Time series.

    I haven't checked out any of the books you're reading, but when my reading list runs out (which will be in a few days...) I probably will :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow good luck! So awesome to meet a fellow writer :)
      I haven't read that series, but I hope you enjoy it.

      You should, Maas is a terrific writer :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. So glad to hear your NaNoWriMo's doing good.
    Btw, I also didn't like Paper Towns, but I loved The Fault in Our Stars.
    Still have to start Throne of glass, plan to do it in December.
    I'll go and read your Tarzan review now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      Glad you loved it!
      Hope you enjoy it when you read it. I'd love to know what you think!
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh, Amy! LOVE the snippet from your book - I NEED MORE. ;) Also, I hope you love TFIOS! I enjoyed Paper Towns but I realllyyy didn't like Margo haha! Hope you have better luck with John Green's other books! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH thank you Kyra! And yes, I hope so too :) Yeah Margo was awful! Lol
      Thank you! <3

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)