Friday, 4 November 2016

What I've Been Writing: It's NaNoWrimo! How's your writing going?!


It's NaNoWrimo, people! The month of writing constantly, struggling to reach 50k words, gulping down coffee, buying more chocolate than you probably should, and excelling at procrastination.

So far, for me, writing for NaNo this November has meant blood, sweat and tears (minus the blood, minus the sweat, double the tears) but I am just SO glad I outlined months before. It's made a world of difference.


The first day of NaNo went really badly for me, even though I still managed to hit my daily word count goal. The words were just not flowing and I really struggled. 
But since then I've been doing a lot better, and, thankfully, I'm also managing to hit my word goals every day. I'm hoping it'll last!  

Anyway, below is a very short excerpt of what I've been writing. My story is a dark retelling of Rapunzel, set in the original "fairy tale / medieval land" and the paragraph below is a very rough piece of the first chapter.

What I'm finding most challenging about NaNo is resisting the urge to self-edit as I go along. I'm one of those people who is constantly unhappy with what they've written, and I'm struggling to resist going back over my writing and re-writing it till I'm happy!
But I've resisted so far ;)  Hehe.

Here's the excerpt. You don't need to know much context to read it :)  




Anyone else writing for NaNo? How's your writing going? 

6 comments:

  1. Ohh, I can imagine how hard it could be restraining yourself from self editing. I wanted to participate this year but then gave up. I didn't have enough motivation so I decided to read and review in my free time instead.
    I wish you good luck in NaNoWriMo and I hope you'll reach that 50K words goal! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah shame, sorry about that :( But reading and reviewing isn't such a bad idea, either! Enjoy!
      Thank you so much :) <3

      Delete
  2. I'd be the same way, with self-editing and whatnot. I'm not participating but I am cheering you on! You got this - hopefully you hit the goal and them some!

    Have a lovely weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five* ;)
      Ah thank you so much! That's so encouraging to know! <3

      Thank you. You too :) And thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  3. Best of luck hitting your goals for this NaNo! I don't write (although I've toyed with the idea a few times) but I'm also on the sidelines cheering everyone participating!

    Your story sounds like something I'd like to read one day when you're ready! ;)

    Hope this week is going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Haha totally understand :)
      Thank you :) Eeek, we'll see if I ever get the courage to show it! Lol

      It definitely is, thanks. Hope yours is too!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)