Saturday, 17 December 2016

CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR (film) wasn't enough of a civil war

Cast: Chris Evans; Robert Downey Jr.; Scarlett Johansson; Sebastian Stan; Don Cheadle; Elizabeth Oleson; Jeremy Renner; Paul Bettany; Paul Rudd; Anthony Mackie.
Year: 2016. 
Directors: Anthony Russo & Joe Russo.
Content Rating: PG 13 for extended sequences of violence, action, and mayhem.
Source: Bought.
IMDB: Captain America: Civil War

Synopsis:
In the wake of collateral damage, government pressure to rein in the Avengers drives a deep wedge between Captain America and Iron Man, causing a catastrophic rift that turns the two friends into bitter enemies. Against a backdrop of divided loyalties, their fellow Avengers must deal with the fallout.
{From the case cover}

My Review:

I am a die-hard Marvel girl. Forget DC; Marvel has always won me over through its epic fight sequences and rich, fully dimensional characters. And so naturally I was BEYOND HYPED for Civil War, which promised to be the greatest superhero movie of all time and literally blow (in a fiery explosion) any other film out of the park.
Ok, so I may have had too high expectations.

Oh, and I'm Team Iron Man. One hundred percent. Without a doubt. Refuse to be swayed. I am Team Iron Man.  

What I Liked: 

The cinematography was excellent; it was so visually alive. The dialogue was as brilliantly witty as ever.  The fight sequences were effortlessly tight and perfectly choreographed; they were breathtaking and EPIC.  The character development was heartfelt, and the characters all got a decent amount of screen time and attention. The humour was brilliantly on point. The acting was as strong as ever; with the exception of my personal doubts regarding some actors.
The finale between Bucky, Cap, and Tony was so heartbreaking, breathtaking, and heart-racing; I admit, I cried.
SPIDEY!! Gosh did I adore Spidey! And as much as I love Andrew Garfield, Tom Holland did an excellent job revamping the character and bringing him into Civil War.
Spidey was awesome.
And Black Panther's introduction was just as strong. Although.... NO ONE BEATS MY DARLING SPIDEY!


What I Didn't Like So Much:

At the start - and subtly during the rest of the film - the scenes were quite choppy. They didn't flow nicely.
The kiss between Steve and Sharon felt very forced. They didn't need to include a kiss.
There wasn't enough of a civil war. Yes, everyone took sides, but they didn't go into what made those characters choose those sides. For example, Hawkeye returns to help Cap, but gives no reason why it's Cap he's helping, instead of Iron Man. And considering Natasha's on Tony's side, surely he'd join her? I vaguely remember Jeremy Renner addressing this issue outside of the film, but nevertheless, it wasn't clear in the movie and thus felt weak.
Yes, Cap was definitely at war with Tony, but what about the other characters' relationships with each other that resulted from that initial conflict? I wanted to see more of how the "secondary" characters' relationships were altered with each other, and I wanted to know their reasons for choosing the side they did. Admittedly, there were a lot of subplots to handle, and it is understandable that things got a bit shaky. But still.
The airport fight, however brilliantly choreographed and the characters' personalities displayed, was a bit underwhelming. It felt like the characters were toying with each other; it wasn't brutal, it was rather light and fluffy. It was disappointing as a war, but fun as humour and fast action goes.  
  

The fights sequences were awesome. The characters were rich, and the visuals epic.  But I would've liked more of a civil war. AND higher stakes.  


I give Captain America: Civil War: 



12 comments:

  1. Nice review! I was on Team Iron Man as well. And knowing the comic story and the movie version I do agree with you. I was a little let down at the final product of Civil War (Like no one died!) content wise I didn't think the movie got rolling until (SPOLIER) they showed who killed Tony's Mother. But great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yay I'm glad! And yes yes YES I totally agree about no one dying; that in itself felt too sugarcoated. And I totally agree about that other point; it did only pick up around that time.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Ooh I love reviews of these movies and don't see nearly enough! I too was SEVERELY geeked for this and yeah my expectations may have been too high. I liked it and I agree it did a lot of things right- and one of the biggest is that everyone got screen time which must have been HARD to pull off. And... I agree about the airport scene. Technically good as it was, I thought it would be the greatest superhero clash EVER and now when I think about it I'm like, eh. That surprises me. :) I think you might right people held back and so no one was ever seriously in trouble maybe? (even though I know War Machine got jacked, but that was like an accident ).

    I liked seeing the vision/ Scarlet Witch moments too. Anyway nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you on all those points.
      Oh yes, I enjoyed those too! I love her character, she's so relatable and three-dimensional, etc, etc. Sometimes I feel like she's the most human of them all. Or at least, since she's a teen, the most "down-to-earth".
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. MOAR WAR! lololol. I've not seen anything Marvel-related, I believe! Captain America, and anything Thor, are on my list. I just don't watch a lot of movies (or TV)... I WILL be watching Rogue One though (not Marvel, but definitely movie). :D

    Anyway! Great review. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOl! Ah shame, you really should! The Iron Man films are my favourite, they're so good.
      Enjoy Rogue One!
      Thank you! <3

      Delete
  4. You should definitely read the comic book. The movie didn't follow the same reason for the civil war that the comic book laid out. In fact, they completely changed it. It's still a Team Cap or Team Iron Man thing, but for a different reason. Personally, I enjoyed the comic book version a lot more. The cinematography was great though!

    Great review :)
    Molly @ Molly's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for sharing all that. I'll try get hold of the comic book, it's so interesting to hear this :)
      Yeah, the cinematography was excellent!
      Thanks :) <3

      Delete
  5. Great review! I have to say, I enjoyed this movie but I can't disagree with anything that you said. I feel like I need to rewatch all the Avengers stuff though as there's too much that I've forgotten throughout the series!

    I did miss Thor and the Hulk a lot in this one. I know it wasn't a proper Avengers film, but it still would have been nice. I'm going to watch Ant Man because I missed that one completely and I was so surprised to see Paul Rudd appear on the screen! I enjoyed the inclusion of Spiderman and I still rate Marvel films as some of my favourites!

    Again, great review!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di! Lol, I need to do a re-watch too - and I haven't seen Ant Man either, so I must get to that.

      Yeah it was strange without them :( Although to be honest I didn't really miss them. Iron Man and Hawkeye have always been my favourite Avengers, so that was enough for me ;)
      Yay I'm so glad you love Marvel too! Good luck on the re-watching and Ant Man :) <3
      Thank you, Di, for the lovely comment <3 X Have wonderful week.

      Delete
  6. I need to catch up on things like Captain America, Iron Man, Thor etc so I can watch fils like Avengers. I feel as if I'm so far behind everyone else! Next year I really need to watch more films!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to soon, they're so awesome :) Haha shame! Hope next year is a better movie year for you, then!

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)