Friday, 16 December 2016

Holiday Movies to Watch (re-watch) this Christmas



In the spirit of Christmas (IT'S ALMOST HERE PEOPLE GET EXCITED!) I've compiled a list of Christmasy, holiday-ish films for you to watch :)
They aren't recent, new films, but they're all tons of fun and very entertaining and Christmasy and all of them have at least some snow...
(I think)




Dan in Real Life
At a Christmas family reunion a widower discovers that the woman he's fallen in love with is his brother's new girlfriend.


This is such a fun movie. Steve Carell is absolutely excellent as the awkward, misfit widower trying to do the right thing, and this film is packed with laugh-out-loud humour and touching romance. It's a delight to watch; so entertaining and so funny.

 The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Four kids travel through a wardrobe to the land of Narnia and learn of their destiny to free it with the guidance of a mystical lion.

Of course I have to include this film. It's snowy, Christmasy, and a classic. You can't not watch this film; it's a snowy, family classic.
(Although I personally do not like it that much...)

The Holiday
Two women troubled with guy-problems swap homes in each other's countries, where they each meet a local guy and fall in love.

A snowy, Christmasy, fairy tale-like story with a star-studded cast, this film is enchanting. I admit, I kinda only watched it for Jude Law, but it is a fun film regardless ;)
And it's got tons of snow and Christmas spirit. The story takes place over Christmas time, so it's perfect.  

Home Alone
An 8-year old troublemaker must protect his home from a pair of burglars when he is accidentally left home alone by his family during Christmas vacation.

This film is funny, outrageous, and packed with painful justice. A kid bobby-traps his house when his family accidentally leaves him at home during the Christmas holidays, and it turns out he needs to since some thieves are planning to break in.
It's a fun, predictable, cheesy, but sweet movie. And there's lots of outrageous punishment being inflicted on those unfortunate criminals.........






The Family Stone
An uptight, conservative businesswoman accompanies her boyfriend to his eccentric and outgoing family's annual Christmas celebration and finds that she's a fish out of water in their free-spirited way of life.

This film is by FAR my favourite off this list. In fact, it's probably one of my favourite movies of all-time, too.
The cast is incredible; with the likes of Diane Keaton, Sarah Jessica Parker, Rachel McAdams, Dermot Mulroney, Luke Wilson, and Claire Danes.  There's laugh-out-loud, outrageous, quirky humour, brilliantly witty dialogue, a gorgeous contrast of three-dimensional characters, romance, tragedy, and pure entertainment. And the climax is unforgettable.
I love it. It's a beautiful, funny, and totally eccentric film.  




Have you seen any of these films? Are there any others you'll be watching this Christmas?


22 comments:

  1. Ah The holiday - thats one of my favourite xmas movies, along with home alone and a Miracle on 34th street. Such feel good films :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you love it too! It's a beautiful film.
      I haven't watched Miracle on 34th Street, but it's great you like that too. And Home Alone, too :)

      Delete
  2. OMG I've watched none of these! Except Narnia. My favorite holiday movie is It's a Wonderful Life, followed by the classic Grinch (animated or real-life one). But I adore the cartoon classics like Frosty and Rudolf! Always a kid at heart. :D

    Happy holidays! <3

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah no, you must! The Family Stone is brilliant, you have to see that! <3
      Ooh I haven't seen those, thanks for sharing. I'll try check them out.

      Thanks, you too! :D

      Delete
  3. Oooh! I've never heard of some of these before!

    Personally, my family is going to be watching The Santa Claus (#1) this coming week. I ADORE Home Alone, as well. I'm also hoping to see some classics like White Christmas and such before Christmas Day... which is way too close!!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must see them! They're SO SO good and fun and Christmasy!
      Oooh cool, I haven't seen those. Enjoy!
      I know right?! Christmas is like in a week, it's incredible.....where did the time go?
      Thanks for stopping by, Audrey!

      Delete
  4. I'll definitely see if I can watch some of these! I really love Home Alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you must, they're brilliant! Hope you get to :) <3
      And oh yeah, Home Alone is so fun :)

      Delete
  5. Narnia and Home Alone are freaking awesome!! <3 I think home Alone was my first Christmas movie :) I have fond memories of curling up to watch it and the sequel :)

    And also, I only now saw your shoutout on the sidebar! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! <3 <3 *Sends cupcakes your way* I'm gonna check out the blogs I haven't visited yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you love them! That's so cool, and actually it was probably mine too, when I think about it :) Ah yes, the sequel's great too.

      YOU'RE WELCOME!! *gobbles cupcakes way too greedily because I haven't had lunch*
      And THANK YOU for the shout-out on your sidebar for my blog! Sorry I totally forgot to say something! <3 Have a lovely weekend, Uma! Xx

      Delete
  6. The Family Stone is awesome. That casting... Home Alone is such a Christmas movie. :) And Narnia- yeah it feels kinda Christmasy too. Dan In Real Life was funny. I also like State and Main, which is not super Christmasy but it's a funny, dialogue driven movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! Gosh it's good :)
      Ooh I haven't heard of that film, I'll have to check it out. I love dialogue driven films :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Ooo, I want to try the Family Stone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO SO SO good, you must!
      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  8. I love re-watching Home Alone during xmas. :)
    It never gets old. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great :) I need to see it again, actually, it's been a while.
      True :)
      Have a lovely rest of the weekend and thanks for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  9. The Holiday and The Family Stone were some of my favorite movies! I used to watch them EVERY year around this time. They made me cry & all warm and fuzzy haha Great list!

    Molly @ Molly's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah YAY YAY I'm so glad, I adore them too!! And haha that's exactly how I feel too, lol :)
      Thanks!

      Delete
  10. The Holiday was on tv the other day and I missed it. I was so bumped about it, because I have never watched it. But it is what it is.
    I guess there's always next year. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah no! What a shame :( Sorry about that:(
      Well, I hope you get to see it some other time soon. It is so good :)

      Delete
  11. I am SO not a holiday film kind of girl but I always watch the first two Home Alone films if they are on. I love slapstick humour. I watch a lot of sport and my own dvds over the holiday period and of course get lots of reading done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that :( But yeah, I also love slapstick humour :)
      Oooh, interesting to know! Enjoy the sport and your dvds :) And of course, I hope you get lots of reading done too! <3

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)