Monday, 26 December 2016

MONEY MONSTER (film) was laughable

Money Monster - 2016.
Cast: George Clooney; Julia Roberts.
Director: Jodie Foster.
Content Rating: R for language throughout, some sexuality, and brief violence.
Source: Rented.


Financial TV host Lee Gates and his producer Patty are put in an extreme situation when an irate investor takes over their studio.






I love thrillers. More action the better, but still: a thriller is awesome if it's clever and well acted.
This wasn't.
When I saw that Clooney and Roberts were in this I was even more excited to see it. They're big names, so the film was bound to be brilliant as well.
It wasn't.


The cinematography was edgy, Clooney's screen charisma was as dazzling as ever, and he and Roberts had natural chemistry. Unfortunately, that's all the film had going for it. 
It was a stupid story. It felt fake, weak, and it felt like everyone was taking themselves too seriously. They were trying to do something clever, but it didn't work; it felt cheap,  laughable, and like they were making a big deal out of a silly situation. The whole hostage situation just felt stupid. I honestly wanted to laugh-out-loud a few times at the ridiculousness of it. Not to mention that as soon as there's real, intense emotion involved, Clooney comes across as if he's laughing at it. 
He honestly did not act as if he had a bomb strapped to his chest; his facial expressions -  supposedly stressed and terrified - were laughable and halfhearted. For a guy with his life on the line, he didn't look that worried. Even Julia Roberts, who really can act, looked like she was taking it too seriously because of the stupidity of the story.
The characters were one-dimensional, cardboard cut-outs. 


The film also started without giving enough context and backstory with regards to the financial duties of the TV program and what Gates and his cronies actually stood for, etc. Even when the film explored that a little bit way too late in the film, it was confusing, loose, and very vague. 
In addition, the film became tedious when ending was splayed out in a loose mess that never seemed to end. It lost momentum. And the plot turned from "thriller" to "filler".


The story didn't work, the acting wasn't great, and the film went way overtime with its climax. 
I don't recommend it. 


I give Money Monster:





8 comments:

  1. Awww. :( I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one! I haven't watched a movie featuring Clooney in quite some time. I would hate that the characters are so one-dimensional. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this book, Amy! Hopefully the next one you watch is AWESOME. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks, me too! You should watch Ocean's Eleven; Clooney's in that and it's so good.
      Thanks Alyssa :) Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Too bad. No wonder I did not hear much about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think it's worth watching :(

      Delete
  3. This is a really great review, and it's such a shame it's not a good movie! Love Julia Roberts (especially Mirror Mirror), but if the plot is bad, there isn't much that the actors/actresses can do to save it. You've help cross off a movie from our To-be-watched list - it did seem really cool though!
    ~ Pendragons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yeah, I totally agree. And she's a great actress who deserved more.
      But yes, it did look cool! I was so disappointed:(
      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  4. Such a shame this movie didn't work for you! It sounds like it had the premise to be really good, and it was supposed to be fun and intense, but it just didn't work out. Sometimes movies are like that, but it's a shame :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :( Yeah, totally! It is a shame :(
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)