Thursday, 19 January 2017

RUMOURS (The Luxe #2) - by Anna Godbersen

Rumours - Anna Godbersen
Year Published: 2008 - by Penguin Books.
Genres: Historical drama / romance / young adult
Pages: 422.
Source: Library.

After bidding good-bye to New York's brightest star, Elizabeth Holland, rumors continue to fly about her untimely demise. All eyes are on those closest to the dearly departed: her mischievous sister, Diana, now the family's only hope for redemption; New York's most notorious cad, Henry Schoonmaker, the flame Elizabeth never extinguished; the seductive Penelope Hayes, poised to claim all that her best friend left behind—including Henry; even Elizabeth's scheming former maid, Lina Broud, who discovers that while money matters and breeding counts, gossip is the new currency. As old friends become rivals, Manhattan's most dazzling socialites find their futures threatened by whispers from the past. In this delicious sequel to The Luxe, nothing is more dangerous than a scandal... or more precious than a secret.


I love Rumours. It's just beautiful. 


Like the first book, the atmosphere was the best thing about this book; you can't help getting swept away into the glamorous, forbidden world of New York society, and watching the fancy balls and stolen kisses as though you're really there and spying on the characters yourselves. It's a delicious social scene; captivating and colourful and luscious.
The descriptions of the gowns the girls wore were mouth-watering. I loved the scenes Godbersen painted, and everything was so rich and tangible. 
Unfortunately, the dialogue still wasn't great. Although it has definitely improved since the first book.

Rumours was a lot more mysterious and sensational than the first book was. The gossip was thick and rich and plentiful, and the secrets were even more tantalizing.  



I still adore Will and Elizabeth.  They're such a beautiful, beautiful couple, and THAT ENDING KILLED ME. I knew it was coming because I read this book a few years ago, but it still hurt and I still sobbed. It was so bittersweet and so tragic and SO agonizing, and while I admire the author for making me feel, I did think it was a bit of an unnecessary move to have Will and Liz's romance end like that. They didn't deserve it, and it felt unfair as well as painful.



Rumours improves upon the first book with a delicious bounty of secrets and stolen romances. The stakes were raised, the tragedy was bittersweet, and I'm dying to know what's next for New York's high society......   





10 comments:

  1. oh you make it sounds so good! this is like SO not my genre and I want to read it now :) I'll add it because I recently read I should be reading ALL kind of books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really thought it was! Lol, I'm so glad :)
      Great! Hope you get to read it soon :)

      Delete
  2. btw.. you should have a bookstagram account Amy! That pic is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I've thought about doing that, but I don't have the time to commit to it :( I'd love to, though.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic review Amy! We weren't sure if we were going to pick up Rumours, but you've given us such good reasons to. If it's more sensational than Luxe, then it must be really, really good. Dragonfly Our Familiarium is right - your pic is beautiful <3
    ~ Pendragons 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yay I hope you read it sometime :) I thought it was!
      Aww thank you <3

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad that this series is still going strong. It's pretty high on my TBR but I can't see myself getting to read it anytime soon. :( I love the sound of it and you're making me jealous that you're reading it :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I can't wait to read the next book.
      Ah, sorry about that :( Well, I hope you enjoy it when you do read it!
      Lol, sorry! <3

      Thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Oh no! I hate it when the ending isn't good! I drop ratings based on the ending alone. I am never touching this series if the ending sticks - ruining the romance is a surefire way to make me stay away. *sigh* I'm glad you enjoyed the book overall though, Amy!

    Great review. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it sucked! Ah no sorry :( But you must still read the first book at least, I'm sure you'll enjoy that one!!
      But yeah, I thought this ending was unnecessary :( Thanks Alyssa, me too!

      Thanks :)

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)