Sunday, 9 April 2017

Blog Tour and Review: PERFECT - by Cecelia Ahern



Hi everyone! 
I am so excited to be participating in Cecelia Ahern's blog tour for her latest novel, Perfect, which is the sequel to her YA debut, Flawed. (You can read my review of Flawed here).

Cecelia is my favourite author and I absolutely love her books. They're magical, gut-wrenching, heartfelt, beautiful, thought-provoking, and have never failed to move me.

In this post, I'll be sharing my review of Perfect and some exclusive content from Cecelia herself. Happy reading! 

Now onto my review......


Perfect - Cecelia Ahern
Year Published: 2017 - by HarperCollins Children's Books
Pages: 288.
Genres: Young adult / romance / dystopia
Source: Thank you to the publishers for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review as part of Ahern's blog tour!

Celestine North lives in a society that demands perfection. After she was branded Flawed by a morality court, Celestine's life has completely fractured – all her freedoms gone. Since Judge Crevan has declared her the number one threat to the public, she has been a ghost, on the run with the complicated, powerfully attractive Carrick, the only person she can trust. But Celestine has a secret – one that could bring the entire Flawed system crumbling to the ground. Judge Crevan is gaining the upper hand, and time is running out for Celestine. With tensions building, Celestine must make a choice: save only herself, or risk her life to save all the Flawed. And, most important of all, can she prove that to be human in itself is to be Flawed…?


Cecelia Ahern has blown my mind yet again. Having loved Flawed and all her other books, I was ecstatic to read Perfect, and I am delighted to say that it exceeded my expectations. When I turned the last page, I was crying, laughing, and overcome with emotions. My heart was so full, so whole, and all I could think about was the flawlessness of this novel.


Maybe the strongest fighters are the nurturers because they're connected to something deep in their core, they've got something to fight for, they've got something worth saving.
~ pg 13



It was everything you could want in a novel. The dialogue was witty, entertaining, and realistic, and the plot was both exhilarating and intelligent. The emotion-fuelled action was constant and breathless, and I literally could not stop reading. It was overwhelmingly addictive and wholly unpredictable; the twists and turns came fast and clever, and there was shock after shock as everything we thought we knew - about Celestine, about Carrick, about the Guild - came slyly crashing down in the best way possible. Ahern kept me guessing right to the end and never disappointed.
It was thought-provoking, heartfelt, and inspiring. As a teenager myself, I was inspired and encouraged by Celestine's actions, and the novel urged me to fight for my beliefs and stick up for others. It was inspirational, and touched me very personally. The book was jam-packed with strong, profound moral lessons, and I believe we can all learn something from this story. It wasn't sugar-coated and it wasn't light and fluffy; it's a raw, real story with the characters learning painful lessons the hard way. The story was horrifying, but breathtakingly told.  


Maybe the strongest fighters are the nulturers because they're connected to something deep in their core, they've got something to fight for, they've got something worth saving.
~ pg 13


There were some lovely humorous moments, usually stemming straight from the characters' personalities, which made the moments even more perfect and hilarious. I especially love that scene where Juniper starts stripping off in the corridor to help Celestine; I literally just burst out laughing, and Ahern handled it so brilliantly that it came across so naturally and as a natural expression of Juniper's character. Not to mention the sentence structure and wording was perfect.
I laughed and I cried and I lost my heart among the pages.



When it's yourself, you can take it; when it's happening to the people you love, it can break you.
~ pg 48




The characters were superb. There were no small characters, and each person came across vivid and three-dimensional. Ahern's characterisation skills are brilliant, and she writes relationships and human nature so expertly. I loved seeing how each character interacted with the others and I loved watching their different personalities clash and conform.

Celestine is a lovely character. So brave, so compassionate, so strong, and such a good role model. I loved how she was feminine and vulnerable while still being so courageous and badass.  That's just how I think heroines should be written, and Celestine was amazing.  I also loved Carrick (so hot, so clever, so hot-headed, so awesome) and Celestine's Granddad, her sister Juniper, and her Mom. No character arc was left neglected, and each of the main characters grew powerfully and realistically. Even though I still disliked Art's character, his development was one of the best in the novel.

I fell in love with Celestine and Carrick's relationship. They were so beautiful together and complemented each other so well. I loved how they accepted and respected each other and were so protective of each other. Their relationship was three-dimensional and dynamic, and I adored the profound beauty and realism of it.  It was so refreshing to read about a healthy romantic relationship that's based on mutual respect and acceptance and also wholeheartedly swoony  <3 
The only thing about their romance that I found a bit disappointing was their sleeping together. It felt forced into the plot and happened too soon in the story; I did love how they both touched each other's brandings, etc (that was a beautiful moment) but it was too sudden and "out of the blue". I would've liked their relationship to have been a bit better developed.      


Two tiny negatives I have to quickly mention: I thought Perfect was very similar to The Hunger Games (in terms of the riots, the people's relationship with the government, and the way Celestine was a part of the revolution). That was a bit frustrating at times.
The other disappointment was Celestine herself. As much as I loved her character, I thought the people's "put her on a pedestal" opinion was overdone at times. It got a bit annoying when everyone was constantly saying how amazing she was, and sometimes it just got too much.

My favourite part of the book was the last scene. I can't say much without giving spoilers, but let me scream what I can from the rooftops:  ABSOLUTE PERFECTION MY HEART EXPLODED INTO DIAMOND SHARDS GLISTENING WITH TEARS AND LAUGHTER AND IT IS THE BEST ENDING I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS IN A  BOOK. It was perfection.



Perfect was breathtaking. Excellent characterisation, intelligent plot, heart-pounding action,  incredibly courageous and important morals, it was everything I never knew I needed. 
Ahern is a genius, and Perfect was flawless. 

            






Cecelia Ahern was born and grew up in Dublin. She is now published in nearly fifty countries, and has sold over twenty-five million copies of her novels worldwide. Two of her books have been adapted as films and she has created several TV series.





Goodreads     Website     Twitter      Facebook



I could not imagine what life must be like on the run. Seriously, the word run is enough to make me wince. I'd be so pathetic.


But in keeping with the context in Perfect, here's some exclusive content from Cecelia that she shared when she was asked:

What 5 things would you pack in your bag if you were on the run? 


1. Smythson diary. My entire life is in that diary, I have to write everything down or I forget.
2. iPod. Very important for my music therapy sessions. I crank the volume to the red dangerous level and escape!
3. I'm addicted to pink Lobello. It also serves well as a cheekbone highlighter & eyeshadow in desperate situations.
4. My phone of course for obvious reasons.
5. Murray mints. They're my survival sweets. They're helpful when I'm on the road and need quick sugar fix, also good for keeping my mouth moist when public speaking! So they tick a lot of boxes!

 I really like her decision to bring her iPod. Music would be a wonderful escape when times get tough.  


Here are five things I'd take if I was on the run: 

1: My kindle - for Twitter, Facebook, blogging, all social media. Let's just hope there's free Wi-Fi everywhere ;) 

2: Toothbrush. Boring and practical I know, but it was hard enough to limit myself to just one toiletry.

3: My black and bright pink backpack. I guess I don't really need it, but it's more of a security-comfort. It makes me feel together, if you know what I mean.  

4: Penknife - for protection and handy stuff. Okay, I've never actually used mine, but it'll make me feel safe. 

5: A book for when I stop and want to relax. And since it has to be one I'd read again and again, and since it has to be a literally perfect book, it'd be one of Cecelia's :) 


I hope you enjoyed this tour stop! 
Make sure to pick up Perfect, and let me know what you think of it when you've finished reading so we can flail over it together! 

Here's the schedule for the rest of the Perfect blog tour: 



12 comments:

  1. Flawed has been on my to-read list for way too long! I can't believe she's released the sequel as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must definitely read it! Both books are amazing!

      Delete
  2. Great post!! I absolutely loved Perfect and I'm so glad to see you liked it :)
    I never knew it had a different set of covers, I've only seen the white and red ones before.
    Aneta @ Angelic Book Reviews 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yay I'm so glad!
      Yeah, I was also surprised. I prefer the white and yellow, personally :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. OH YES AMY THE ENDING!! I wrote and posted my review too and it's basically me fangirling :P The ending gave me a sense of completeness <3 I wish Cecelia Ahern would write more similar books in the future! I'll always be here to give her books a go :) Perfect was the Perfect book i could've asked for! It was even better than what I'd hoped for <33 Great review Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YES TO EVERYTHING YOU SAID!! It was MIND BLOWING!!
      Thank you Uma <3

      Delete
  4. omigosh i am so happy you loved it as much as i did!!! I have no words for that ending-i cried. I literally just started bawling. Awesome post:P!
    Kariny @kariny's boox frenzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! SO TRUE!! It was incredible <3
      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Amy, it is so cool that you got to be a part of this blog tour! How did you snag a spot? Did HarperCollins ask for volunteers?

    Both of these books (Flawed and Perfect) sound really good. I just added them to my TBR. Wow, I better get reading! That TBR pile just keeps growing ;)

    Happy reading!

    Caitlin @ Quills & Coffee
    www.caitlinlambert.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was beyond excited when I got in! Well, I requested an ARC review copy from HC, and they replied to my email offering me a spot in the tour as well, since I loved Flawed so much and am a big fan of Cecelia's.

      Haha, yeah you must definitely read them, I'm sure you'll love them! They're amazing <3

      Thanks, you too!

      Delete
  6. Oh, Amy!! You're TOTALLY BLOWN ME AWAY with this review!! Now I DEFINITELY want to read "Perfect", and, of course, "Flawed" before it!! YEAH!!!!

    I don't think there's ANYTHING I LOVE more in a book than three-dimensional characters! Along with that, of course, are scenes that evoke EMOTION from me, that touch me in some way. Ahern sure does deliver both, as I can see from your EXCELLENT review!!

    Thanks for sharing your WONDERFUL FANGIRLING!!! HUGS!!! <3 <3 :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh MARIA THANK YOU!! <3 <3 <3 You definitely should read them!

      I KNOW RIGHT?! They can really make or break a book. And yes to all you've said; emotion is definitely a must!
      AWW THANK YOU!! <3

      Haha thanks for bearing with me! Lol! <3 <3 *HUGS*

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)