Thursday, 18 May 2017

LETTERS TO THE LOST - by Brigid Kemmerer

LETTERS TO THE LOST - Brigid Kemmerer
Published: 2017 - by Bloomsbury Children's.
Pages: 393.
Genres: Young adult / contemporary / romance /
Source: Thank you so much to Jonathan Ball Publishers SA for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review!

Juliet Young has always written letters to her mother, a world-traveling photojournalist. Even after her mother’s death, she leaves letters at her grave. It’s the only way Juliet can cope. Declan Murphy isn’t the sort of guy you want to cross. In the midst of his court-ordered community service at the local cemetery, he’s trying to escape the demons of his past. When Declan reads a haunting letter left beside a grave, he can't resist writing back. Soon, he’s opening up to a perfect stranger, and their connection is immediate. But neither of them knows that they're not actually strangers. When real life at school interferes with their secret life of letters, Juliet and Declan discover truths that might tear them apart.

 OH. MY. HEART. This book is everything I never knew I needed. It broke my heart and healed it. I cried. I laughed. I was one minute giddy with warmth and delight, then suddenly breathless with shock and heartache. So, so good.


The writing is excellent, and I mean that in every single sense of the word. The story's gripping, un-put-downable, irresistibly compelling, and the writing - vivid, and as far from flowery as you can get - is extremely powerful. It's intoxicating in its brilliance.
The story's unique and refreshing, and the twists and turns left me breathless. My heart was pounding for most of the novel. I wish my words could do justice to this gorgeous emotion-swept bittersweet gem of a book, but the best I can do is beg you to please, please read it.


The characters are AMAZING. No one is flat, no one is a small character, no one is boring or unrealistic, and every single person comes across three-dimensional and real.
It's not just Juliet and Declan who undergo incredible character development: the secondary characters have brilliant arcs, and their rich development - particularly that of Rev and Alan - is excellent. The relationships in this novel are complicated, but they're so perfectly written.

Juliet and Declan are two of the most brilliant protagonists I've ever read about: strong motivations, strong histories, strong character traits, and with the perfect balance of flaws and redeemable qualities. They are masterfully written, and their development is mind-blowing. My heart broke for them, but I also rejoiced when they found their happy ending.

This isn't a book about romance (although the romance is there and it's BEAUTIFUL and slow-burning). It's a book about friendships and character development, learning from mistakes, seeing the people in front of us for who they really are - for better and for worse - and healing the brokenness inside of us. These topics are so thoughtfully addressed, and I absolutely respect and admire the way Kemmerer handled them. And in case you're wondering, this book never once makes love out to be the cure of all. THANKFULLY.

The friendships. OH MY WORD. I believe this book is about relationships most of all, and the epic friendships completely enveloped my heart and soul. Rowan and Juliet are the epitome of a realistic and healthy female friendship, and Rev and Declan are the male equivalent. The friendships are probably the best thing about this novel, and they grow, develop, and the characters stand by each other just like friends should. SO PERFECT.



Letters to the Lost is a vivid, emotional, utterly beautiful and compelling novel about internal journeys, healing, friendships, and the conflict that is our fallible human nature.  One of the best books I've read this year, 


20 comments:

  1. Gah! I have had this book for awhile and need to move it up on my list after your review! I'm so glad you loved it =) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to read it soon! And thanks, me too!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you liked this one.. I just read it a few months ago and I fell in love with this book. I definitely cried in this one too, and that doesn't happen a lot. Great review Amy :)
    Aneta @ Angelic Book Reviews 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aneta! And yay, I'm so glad you adored it too!
      Thank you :) <3

      Delete
  3. So glad you liked this book! Really excited to pick up this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you get a copy soon :)

      Delete
  4. I'll definitely have to pick this up next time I'm at the library - I've heard so many wonderful things about this book! I also love books that are so well written they cause actual tears, for writer to achieve that from a reader is pure talent! Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you must, it's so worth it!
      Yes so true!! It's definitely a skill.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. So many people love this book! After your review, I'm moving it to the top of my TBR :) Great review girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR?!
      Yay I'm so glad! And thank you <3

      Delete
  6. Great review! Can't wait to get my hands on this. Haven't heard a single bad word so far, really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooklyn! I hope you get to read it soon and love it :)

      Delete
  7. AHH I'm so glad to hear you loved this! I have it on my shelf waiting to be read - will definitely get to it soon after reading your amazing review! *_*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh me too!! Oh Kyra you have to read it, I know you'll absolutely love it!
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  8. YAAAAAASSSSSS! I'm so glad you enjoyed this book, Amy! I think it was Kemmerer's best, by far. I mean, I've read all of her other books and I've enjoyed them, but this one is a masterpiece. I can't wait to read the companion sequel!

    Great review! Have a fantastic weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alyssa, me too! I'm so glad to hear that - I haven't read her other books, but I totally agree that this is a masterpiece :)
      Me too!!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Dude, if there's a good book but the relationship is mainly strong frienship based I SHALL READ IT. And Letters to the Lost sounds really good!

    xoxo Abigail Lennah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will definitely love this, then!! It's BEYOND BEAUTIFUL, and #friendshipgoals

      Thanks for stopping by, Abigail!

      Delete
  10. I am glad you could love this book so much! It sounds so moving and incredibly perfect. Not only is this one heavily about character development - one of my favourite things when reading - but it sounds like the protagonists are amazing and that the emotion level is perfect. I am so reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And it really is! Yeah, absolutely :)
      Yay do! Hope you love it!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)