Thursday, 25 May 2017

THAT NIGHT - by Chevy Stevens

THAT NIGHT - Chevy Stevens.
Published: 2014 - by Sphere.
Pages: 466.
Genres: Adult / mystery / thriller / romance
Source: Bought.
Eighteen-year-old Toni and her boyfriend, Ryan, were wrongly convicted of the murder of her younger sister. Seventeen years later, she's out on parole and back in her hometown, but she's struggling to adjust to a new life on the outside. Ryan is convinced he can uncover the truth; her mother still doesn't believe Toni's innocent; and the former high school girls who made Toni's life miserable may have darker secrets than anyone can imagine. Before Toni can move forward, she must take a terrifying step back to her past to find out the truth and clear her name, before it's too late.



I was INCREDIBLY excited to read this book. One, the cover is SO THRILLING AND ATMOSPHERIC; two, the premise sounds SO SCARY AND DARK; and three, I love love love thrillers.
So you can imagine my HUGE disappointment when I found myself extremely unimpressed after flipping the last page. It was such a let-down.


The writing isn't amazing. Toni's first person narration feels numb and disconnected, and not in a chilling or skillful way; her character just doesn't feel invested in the story, and I found it hard to sympathise with her as her emotions didn't feel real, vivid, or wholehearted. The writing is also amateurish, dry, and extremely mediocre. There're no beautiful phrases or chilling subtext - it's just flat. In addition, the dialogue is very uninspired and boring.
For most of the book it doesn't even feel like a thriller. The incidents in the story are random and weak, and most of them don't even add anything to the main plot or characters. That made me feel cheated; it wasn't like I was faced with a shocking revelation and could go back to see the hints of it previously in the story. There isn't any proper foreshadowing, and I found the ending underwhelming.

Everything Toni goes through - the bullying, the relationships, the prison sentence - all feels very unrealistic. Does the legal system - for example -  really work like she describes it in the book? I didn't find those situations or experiences credible at all.

I didn't love any of the characters and none of them felt incredibly well written or three dimensional. I did, however, rather like Toni's romance with Ryan; I really enjoyed their chemistry and relationship arc (the most three-dimensional aspect of the novel). But the other characters didn't win me over. Nicole feels stereotypical and predictable, Toni's parents unoriginal, the mean girls vague and boring, and just...meh.



That Night is a mediocre thriller with disconnected narration and a boring, predictable plot- line.

8 comments:

  1. Ugh, that's a disappointment! I expect a lot out of thrillers, so sorry this was a letdown for you! Have you read any of this author's other novels? I think I have one on my TBR, but I haven't read anything else by her, so I'm wondering if maybe some of her other books are better and this was just an aberration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was :(
      I haven't, but I'd like to. Maybe you're right - maybe this was just a once-off.
      Thanks for stopping by, Angela!

      Delete
  2. The title sounds so interesting and I'm so sorry it fell flat on it's face :/ I HATE when thrillers are even the slightest bit predictable! I'm glad there were some parts that made it a somewhat decent read. Great review Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uma :)
      Yeah so true!
      Thanks <3

      Delete
  3. Wow, it seems like very little actually worked for you - that is so disappointing. Especially since you were so excited to read it. But hey, at least the romance was good. :D I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this book, Amy! Hopefully your next read is better!

    Have a fantastic weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was really disappointing :(
      Thanks Alyssa, I hope so too!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry to hear that this one didn't work out for you. I think I won't be reading it myself. First person narrative can be hard to get right sometimes, and disconnected is definitely the worst it can get. And then the whole story just didn't work out :( I hope you enjoy your next read better!

    My recent post: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2017/04/article-three-book-review.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :(
      Yeah true. It's such a pity when it doesn't work.
      Thank you!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)