Friday, 26 May 2017

The Blog Squad: A Blogger Collaboration - Part 11


We are a group of three book bloggers situated on different continents but brought together by our love for books and a penchant for talking about them. We’ve joined our forces to create a collaborative series of posts about book blogging and we hope you’ll enjoy the discussions. 

 A MAGICAL WORLD OF WORDS - AmyNikita 
 BOOKS.BAGS.BURGERS - Uma K 
 BOOK REVIEWS BY DI - Di Hewlett



What is the best blogging advice you've ever been given? 


To remember WHY I started book blogging in the first place and to always remember that I blog because I LOVE READING, and not the other way around. I think it’s always important to keep this in sight and remember to keep doing what you love.



I’ve received loads of advice from my fellow bloggers ever since I started my blog and most of them have been extremely useful advice that have helped me a LOT. To state the best, I think one of the advice that MOST bloggers gave me was to stay true to who I am and not try to copy or imitate any other blogger. This is VERY important. There are so many bloggers who are extremely inspiring but it’s never okay to imitate their blogging style. It’s important to be true to yourself and keep doing what you love. Don’t do something because someone else is or jump onto a bandwagon because everyone else is; do it only if you believe you will enjoy it. And don’t refrain from doing something because it’s not the ‘it’ thing in the blogosphere; go ahead and start something new if you enjoy it!


What's the worst/most misleading blogging advice you've ever been given? 



This is a tough one, because I haven’t actually received any BAD advice per se but there’s something that’s often talked about in the blogging world that I think needs to be addressed here. And that is, BLOGGING CONSISTENTLY.

 Now yes, as a blogger you DO need to be consistent, but there’s consistent and there’s consistent.

Don’t rush in and create hundreds of posts and try to post every day, - you’re going to burn out or at least wonder how on EARTH do I keep doing this? You might start posting every day, then go down to every other day, then once or twice a week.

By the same token it can also be difficult to sit down every day/every other day to create your content and rinse and repeat. After a while (possibly even years) you will wonder, how on EARTH do I keep doing this?

The answer is to find your rhythm - what can you realistically expect of yourself on a weekly basis. You need to both be able to create content but also have actual breaks. If posting every day still works for you - that’s amazing! But if it doesn’t, don’t feel pressured!

Blogging consistently is also completely different to blogging a lot. You do NOT need to post content every day - you just don’t! Nor do you need to have such a rigid blogging schedule that your posts go up on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday at 6:25am. If your content is good/unique/interesting it’s going to get read regardless of whether or not you post at the same time every week.

You also need to consider the fact that you need to have a balance between posts and engagement on posts - especially in the beginning. I don’t think that posting on a daily basis will increase your traffic but in fact it could divide your traffic between all your content when you could have maximised engagement and page views by posting less!



I don’t think I’ve ever been given ‘bad’ advice but like Di, I want to talk about something that is seen often in the blogosphere. Following blogs just so they will follow you back and unfollowing them when they don’t. This follow only to unfollow phenomenon is very common in Social networking sites especially Twitter and Instagram and has now infiltrated the blogosphere too. It’s a popular belief that following as many blogs as you can will help increase your followers as at least 50% of them will follow you back. While no one gives this ‘advice’ outright, this is something many do. I am NOT saying don’t follow blogs. I’m all about making wonderful friends in the blogosphere. I’m saying don’t follow blogs just for the ‘follow back’.  

Follow a blog you truly think you would be interested in. I admit when I first started my blog, it felt like it was all about the numbers - followers, pageviews etc. But truly it’s not. Ask yourself, do you want someone to follow your blog just because you followed theirs or do you want someone to follow your blog because they truly enjoy the content you post? I love it when I get a new follower ; I love it even more when a follower reads my posts and interacts with me; and that they will do only if they enjoy my content. So don’t get caught up on follower count but focus on doing what you love and trust me you’ll end up making wonderful friends through your blog!


If you could only give one piece of advice to an aspiring book blogger, what would it be? 



I think if I could only give one piece of advice, I’d have to remain in the same vein of the great advice that I was once given - Remember WHY you blog and the love that you have for books. Don’t make this into such a chore that you don’t enjoy it anymore. Keep reading the books that you love and if you want to read that book that doesn’t necessarily fit into your usual genre/category or whatever - DO IT! Don’t ONLY read for your blog - blog because you are reading.



Remember to be yourself and keep blogging because you love to - NOT to get more followers, NOT to get more pageviews but because you enjoy doing it. And intereact! When you find a blog post on the blogosphere you enjoy, leave a comment saying so; if someone comments on your posts, reply to them. Most of all, have fun! Don’t get so crazy about blogging that it feels like work.



Come check out my answers over at their collab posts!: 




 We hope you’ve enjoyed the first in our series of discussion posts! Please talk to us and let us know YOUR answers below. What do you think of our responses? If you have any specific questions you’d like us to address in the future, please let us know in the comments section below. Stay tuned for next week’s questions!

14 comments:

  1. Lots of great advice! Being true to yourself and staying true to your own voice is so crucial- it's what gives each of us and our blogs the individuality that makes us unique. Yikes that sounded pretentious- but you know what I mean lol. Awesome answers!! And well said Uma about the follow/ unfollow thing.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you put that, Greg -that's so true. And I totally get what you mean, lol.
      Glad you liked them! And yes, Uma was absolutely right about that :)

      Thanks,to you too!

      Delete
  2. Lots of great advice! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it helpful, Jollygirl, and thanks!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for being great collab bloggers ladies. Part 11! Yay us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Di makes a lot of great points this week, especially that we were all readers before we became bloggers and that we should find a system that works for us. I think it's ok to have a consistent schedule, if that's what works for you as a blogger (I always tend to post at the same time, because that's how I preschedule the posts). But yeah, for many of us this is just a hobby, so keeping it fun and stress-free for ourselves is important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely does, that's so true :)
      Absolutely!
      Thanks for visiting, Angela :) <3

      Delete
  5. I loved this particular set of questions even though it was a bit hard :P Yay for another awesome collab guys <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe ;) But yes, it was cool, right?!
      <33

      Delete
  6. It's so important to have a consistent schedule, especially as life gets busier. As someone towards the end of high school, a lot more in the real life has to be prioritized over blogging, and I wasn't able to post nearly at all these past three months. As long as there's a post a week, with maybe doubling up biweekly, we should be fine. xD

    xoxo Abigail Lennah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I see what you're saying Abigail :) As long as there's a post a week, that should be good.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Great post as usual ladies! I definitely agree with all of the above, even if I have to keep reminding myself sometimes about them ;) Like that it's not about the numbers but the quality and interaction and that it's not the end of the world if I need a break ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey!
      Lol same ;) It takes convincing!
      Absolutely :)

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)