Tuesday, 30 May 2017

THE DIABOLIC (The Diabolic #1) - by S.J. Kincaid

THE DIABOLIC - by S.J. Kincaid
Published: 2016 - Simon and Schuster.
Genres: Young adult / romance / science fiction
Pages: 416.
Source: Thank you so much to Jonathan Ball Publishers SA for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.

Nemesis is a Diabolic. Created to protect a galactic Senator's daughter, Sidonia. There's no one Nemesis wouldn't kill to keep her safe. But when the power-mad Emperor summons Sidonia to the galactic court as a hostage, there is only one way for Nemesis to protect Sidonia. She must become her. Now one of the galaxy's most dangerous weapons is masquerading in a world of corruption and Nemesis has to hide her true abilities or risk everything. As the Empire begins to fracture and rebellion looms closer, Nemesis learns that there is something stronger than her deadly force: the one thing she's been told she doesn't have - humanity. And, amidst all the danger, action and intrigue, her humanity might be the only thing that can save her, Sidonia and the entire Empire...

I'd heard of this book before I started reading it, but I didn't really know what it was about or if most people had enjoyed it. That was refreshing, in a way, because I couldn't have any preexisting biases.
And I'm pleased to say that I really enjoyed The Diabolic.


Sci-fi is sorely overused these days, but this book is beautiful and refreshing in its utterly unique approach to all things cosmic and scienc-y. It's an electrifying breath of fresh air, and a glorious escape from the cliches of the genre.

There is no info-dumping!! I literally want to dance in glee and repeat THERE'S NO INFO-DUMPING! It's never boring, never tedious (although the short space of time at the beginning before Nemesis goes to court does drag a lot), and the writing is excellent. Smart, elegant prose twist into a brutal - it is very brutal - story full of action and romance, and with completely unpredictable twists and turns. It's so engrossing, and the writing is wickedly and gorgeously skillful.


The characters steadily grew on me. I grew to love Nemesis and her courage and growth, and I adored her fighting skills and how she was so completely capable while still having her feminine vulnerability.
The secondary characters are very strong and well-defined: the atrociously wicked Emperor, the cruel grandmother, sweet Sidonia, relatable Nevani, and of course, the hero Prince Tyrus.
Oh how I loved the romance! It's quite simply unlike anything I've ever read before. The relationship between Nemesis and Tyrus is achingly honest and conflicted, and their romantic scenes are so swoony and romantic. I definitely ship them, and I love their chemistry. Also...TYRUS IS GORGEOUS. He's so swoony and lovable and clever and darling and I want him.

I admit I didn't think I would love Sidonia and Nemesis' friendship. After all, Nemesis loves her because she has to, because she was made to love and protect her, and initially I didn't think that I would be able to accept that their relationship was one of genuine feeling. And initially I don't think it was. But as the book progressed, the relationship between those girls grew on me, and although we'll never know for certain, I did feel like it was a sincere friendship by the end of the story.



The Diabolic is a unique and entertaining sci-fi novel that definitely stands out. I loved the romance, the strong characters, and the excellent writing, and I look forward to the next book!

14 comments:

  1. Ooh nice! I still need to read this one but I have heard mostly good things about it, so I look forward to reading it eventually! Glad you enjoyed it too! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it soon and love it, Jessica!
      Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you loved this one! I have an eBook of this one and this review has made me push it higher up on my TBR!! :) Great review Amy <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uma!
      You must read it soon, I'm sure you'll like it! I can't wait to know what you think!
      Thanks :) <3

      Delete
  3. No info dumping? What's that I hear? Oh, that's all the people rejoicing. LOL I honestly didn't pay this one a lot of attention when it was released but now I am rethinking that. I love the sound of the romance. Plus great secondary characters... and don't forget no info dumping. :) I might have to give this one a try. Great review, Amy!
    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT?! Ah, those are all so true, and you must read it soon!
      Thanks Tanya :)

      Delete
  4. This was definitely a different kind of sci-fi; it felt quieter - no larger space battles or anything of the like. I'm so curious about how the love story will unfold since it ended on such an interesting note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true :)
      Yes me too!
      Thanks for stopping by, Amber!

      Delete
  5. When it comes to science fiction and YA, I am always prepared for info dumping. Like, it seems unavoidable so I am very very impressed that this novel doesn't do that at all! And I am glad that it was so original and refreshing to read. It sounds just like my kinda book ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true :)
      You should read it! It's awesome :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Ah great review! I have a copy of The Diabolic, and I just haven't gotten around to it even though everyone seems to like it! I'm a fan of sci-fi, but a lot of them (at least in YA) are all super similar. I'm glad this one isn't and doesn't do the dreaded info-dumping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Genni!
      Ah you must read it, especially if you love sci-fi. I'm sure you'll love this one :)
      Yes!!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I cannot tell you how much I love your review. This book has been staring at me from my collapsing tbr pile for too long now. I am going to move it up after reading how much you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! That's so sweet :)
      Ah you must! And I hope you love it!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)