Friday, 16 June 2017

The Blog Squad: A Blogger Collaboration - Part 14


We are a group of three book bloggers situated on different continents but brought together by our love for books and a penchant for talking about them. We’ve joined our forces to create a collaborative series of posts about book blogging and we hope you’ll enjoy the discussions. 

 BOOKS.BAGS.BURGERS - Uma K 
 BOOK REVIEWS BY DI - Di Hewlett

Do you have any book blogging hacks? 


There is NOTHING out there that’s going to create our content for you and respond to comments for you and go visit other blogs for you… There just isn’t. That’s gotta come from YOU. 

However there are some things that you can do to help the entire process go a little smoother. 

SCHEDULING: Schedule EVERYTHING. Create a calendar that you will use - either a physical copy or an online calendar or whatever works best for you. Personally I like an online calendar because this allows me to easily change stuff and drag stuff around when my schedule goes haywire. You don’t HAVE to post on those exact days, but at least you know what you have coming up and are more able to be prepared. 

REPURPOSE YOUR WORK: You spent a lot of time creating Bookstagram shots? Use them as your headers or as eye rests in your posts! You wrote an awesome review? Use a line from it to ‘advertise’ your post on your social media. 

SCHEDULE YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA: There are a bunch of paid and unpaid tools that you can use to help you schedule your social media. Basically you load all of your posts in and then stagger them over the upcoming days/weeks. I myself use Buffer which can post to many platforms - more on that in the final Q of this week’s post!


Okay I wouldn’t call them hacks, but I do follow certain ideas and ways to make the blogging process both easy and fun for me. It’s no fun if the process becomes stressful now is it? 

SCHEDULING: I have a diary where I schedule all my online bookish posts - Blog, Bookstagram, reviews on Goodreads etc. I schedule every weekend when I have the time. I decide what I will post in the following week and put everything in one place so when the day comes, all I have to do is open the diary, read and post. Of course I don’t get to follow my plans to the T every single day but scheduling helps a LOT! 

STAY ORGANIZED: I have an organized blog roll, a separate label in my gmail for blog emails, author emails etc. This goes a long way in making sure things are easily accessible and don’t get lost or forgotten. Visiting other blogs and exploring is a huge part of being a book blogger and this helps a lot! 

PROMOTION: Go ahead and mention the fact that you have a blog on social media and other sites you use; such as Goodreads, Twitter, instagram etc. I mention in my bookstagram posts that reviews for certain books can be found in my blog. I’ve had quite a few visitors who come here after seeing that on instagram. Twitter is also a huge traffic source for me.


What social media do you use the most for your blog and what for? 


I use both Twitter and Facebook, but Twitter is definitely the place to be as a book blogger looking to interact and help drive your traffic stats. There’s a huge amount of other book bloggers and authors and publishers on Twitter and it’s great to see what’s happening in the book world right now!

I use Twitter, Google+ and Instagram. Every post I publish is simultaneously shared on Google+ and I share almost all reviews on Twitter too. Both these places drive a lot of traffic to the blog! Also I have my blog added to the website part of Instagram and according to my stats I get quite some traffic from there too.

How do you use social media efficiently? 


I’m not sure I’m really qualified to answer this question! ;) HOWEVER! I like to use an app that connects to multiple platforms and schedules posts for me. Specifically I use Buffer which I can access both on my desktop AND off my phone and it posts to pretty much everything I use. It can even be used to schedule Instagram posts although to do this it just brings up a reminder on your phone and you do it manually. It’s still pretty nice though! 

I like to try and line up a few days worth of posts including interesting bookish things I’ve found around the web, my own blog posts and random tweets etc. I’m not sure that this really counts as efficient, but it’s what works for me.


Okay truthfully speaking, I don’t think I use social media as efficiently as I’d like to. I want to be more active on Twitter but the only place I’m even more active than on my blog is my Instagram. And while it doesn’t drive as much traffic to my blog as Twitter, I enjoy Bookstagramming and I daresay I’ve gotten good at it! :) 

I plan to get back to taking part in Twitter chats and such as a way of being more active on there and meeting new people. I’m also planning to start a Facebook for my blog. I actually don’t like Facebook for some reason but I’m planning to still give it a try.


Come check out my answers over at their collab posts!: 





 We hope you’ve enjoyed Part 14 in our series of discussion posts! 
Please talk to us and let us know YOUR answers below. What do you think of our responses? 

If you have any specific questions you’d like us to address in the future, please let us know in the comments section below. Stay tuned for next week’s questions!

14 comments:

  1. It is indeed so important to organize posts before they happen! Instagram's also a great way to post and share content, although it doesn't work out for everyone. I'll try to brainstorm some questions and send them to you before I leave for vacation!

    xoxo Abigail Lennah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely!
      True. And thanks! <3

      Delete
  2. I'm really bad with social media, even in my real life! I started a Facebook page for the blog, which has actually been kind of fun, because in addition to posting everything from the blog, I also post about other bookish things I come across on the internet. I'm hoping to start Instagram soon, and everything gets cross-posted on Google+.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah shame!
      That's true - I do the same, and it's really easy and cool.
      Nice :) I also post to Google+.
      Thanks for stopping by, Angela!

      Delete
  3. Scheduling and working ahead are definitely my biggestblogging lifesavers! I must admit that I don't really work that much in advance though, perhaps two weeks at most? Which is not that much. I'm still working on improving this though!
    I mostly use Twitter and Facebook, though Twitter is really the best social media in my view. Both in terms of being able to drive traffic to your blog, but also in finding other bloggers, interacting and just learning about the lastest news in book world :)
    I should really use Twitter more efficiently as well - all my blog posts are automatically posted on Twitter through Bloglovin, but I guess I should post directly to Twitter as well, which I don't always do. But I didn't know about Buffer, so I should definitely try that as I think it could really help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!
      It really is :) That's so true.
      Buffer has been a lifesaver for me, I'd definitely recommend it!
      Thanks for the comment, Lindsey :)

      Delete
  4. Scheduling is absolutely key! I'm usually really good at doing this when it comes to blogging, since I only post once a week, but I could get better on other platforms, especially Facebook and Twitter. I'll have to check out some of these apps that help schedule posts on those platforms :)

    As always, great post! <3 <3

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And yeah, I imagine that would make it a lot easier :)
      Buffer is amazing, you should try that out!

      Thanks Audrey :) <3

      Delete
  5. Scheduling is key foe me these days- definitely. Using a line from your review as an advertisement on social media is a great idea too, I should do that more.

    I used to have a facebook page for my blog but I'm kinda tired of facebook and don't really want to use it anymore so I've let that fall away. I do like Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good way to do it; I must actually try that.
      Twitter is awesome :)
      Thanks for commenting and visiting, Greg!

      Delete
  6. Yikes... I need to work on this week's Q's! :) Thanks for being awesome as always ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeek I need to start thinking too! 😬😬
      Xx :)

      Delete
  7. Awesome post, guys. I love this. I've just started to do blogging ahead and try to be more organized. I'm not that good with social media. I use twitter more than Instagram. But I've started to love Instagram. Yay, you make me want to give google+ a try. Thanks for this discussion. Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geybie, and I'm so glad :)
      That's great - organisation definitely helps. But Instagram is cool, you're right :) And Twitter's the best.
      Thanks!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)