Friday, 30 June 2017

The Blog Squad: A Blogger Collaboration - Part 16


We are a group of three book bloggers situated on different continents but brought together by our love for books and a penchant for talking about them. We’ve joined our forces to create a collaborative series of posts about book blogging and we hope you’ll enjoy the discussions. 

 A MAGICAL WORLD OF WORDS - AmyNikita 
 BOOK REVIEWS BY DI - Di Hewlett


What is your favourite type of blog post to do and why? 



Ummmmmmm…. I can’t decide! 

I love doing each post for a different reason and honestly I wouldn’t bother doing a post that I didn’t enjoy writing. 

I love doing discussion posts because they have great value in the community, and not just as opening a point of discussion on something, but also because they invite so much interaction with your readers and followers. I love doing weekly memes/blog hops for the same reason - everyone that joins in generally visits a lot of the other participating blog’s posts and there’s just so much interaction on these posts. 

At the root of it all though, I love doing review posts. I mean, that’s what book blogging is all about, right? I love the possibility of being able to draw someone’s attention to something that they may never have looked at in the past - something they may have walked by and left on the shelf. I love being able to gush about the things that I loved in a book. Whenever someone tells me that they are adding that book to their TBR because of my review or they are even considering it because of something that I have said - well that right there gives me all the warm and fuzzies. :)



My most favorite type of blog posts to do are DISCUSSION POSTS!! (And I have a couple wonderful ones coming up in July so keep an eye out for those!) I love them the most because discussion brings people together. I love that my discussion posts have the most comments even though I’ve done only 3 discussion posts so far (remedying that soon!) I absolutely love having a lively discussion with you guys and honestly speaking, books prompt THE BEST discussion posts ever. I’m extremely extroverted and basically a chatterbox in real life. I can literally talk for hours together without pausing for a break (I’m not even exaggerating) but sadly I don’t get to do much bookish discussions in real life so TADA...here I am on the blogosphere chatting about like crazy!

Another favorite type of post for me are my Writing Posts. So far I’ve done only 2 and currently working on the third but man I ABSOLUTELY LOVE talking about writing. I love talking about various writing techniques i follow and I enjoy sharing my ideas with you guys!


Do you do any sort of wrap-up post on your blog and what do you include? 


The only ‘wrap-up’ post that I do at the moment is a weekly round up post on a Sunday. Generally I link to both the Sunday Post and IMYWAR blog hops: I love both of these communities! These posts are both a great way to connect to the book blogger community AND they help me to keep on track with my reading schedule and goals. 

In each Round Up post I include a little about what has happened in my week which can be both on and off the blog, reading related or not - anything goes in this section. 

I also include what books I’ve completed in the week, what I’m currently reading and the books coming up next. There’s a section for books I’ve received that week and I love highlighting books here because I might not get to reviewing them for a while but it’s still a great place to show other book bloggers some books they may not know are out there.



I used to do Monthly Wrap up posts but haven’t for many months now. When things got hectic with college and stuff, I had to cut back on some things. Unfortunately wrap up posts were one of those things. Now that I’ve started blogging steadily again, I’ve decided to do Monthly Wrap up posts from July onwards. 

When I start doing wrap up posts, I plan to include a comprehensive list of the reviews and discussion posts I’ve done that month, interesting bookish posts I’ve read that month from across the blogosphere and also some life updates. I realize I ONLY talk about bookish stuff in my blog and I’d like to change that a bit.

Do you do any web analytics on your blog? 


Blogger does provide a basic ‘Stats’ dashboard with which to check out pageviews per post/total page views for your blog and basic traffic sources stats however I also like to use Google Web Analytics on my blog. There’s a lot of info available like unique pageviews and sessions, returning users/user retention, user demographics, search queries that lead to your blog etc.

How do you acquire users?

 

When do your users visit? 



What devices are used to access your site? 



I could definitely use the data more to my advantage and I don’t look at these things nearly often enough, but I do have it installed and collecting the stats on my blog. ;)

Having said that though I’ve recently discovered the mobile app for Google Analytics so this does almost guarantee that I will check out my stats more often and might be able to turn the figures into useful information.



Okay so I learned a lot about Google Web Analytics from Di’s answer today and I might start using them in the future! 

Currently I only look at the Stats provided by Blogger. I mostly look at traffic sources and referring URLs to get an idea of where my readers are coming from and where I should promote my blog more!


Come check out my answers over at their collab posts!: 




 We hope you’ve enjoyed Part 16 in our series of discussion posts! Please talk to us and let us know YOUR answers below. What do you think of our responses? 

 If you have any specific questions you’d like us to address in the future, please let us know in the comments section below. Stay tuned for next week’s questions!

14 comments:

  1. Great answer Di about writing reviews! I agree- I like doing reviews, for those reasons you mention. If I love a book and my review interests someone else in it, that's a great feeling (especially if they love the book). I do like discussion posts though too, it's so fun to interact with other bloggers about bookish stuff.

    It's fun to see writing posts too, to see what other people are writing about or to get good tips. And I generally don't do monthly wrap ups, I pretty much just stick to the Sunday Post, it gives me a chance to summarize my week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your points, Greg!
      Have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  2. These collaborations are so interesting! I'm not a book blogger, but it was so interesting to get some insight on what book blogging is like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're enjoying them! <3

      Delete
  3. I need to get back to this post - lots and lots to learn from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, nice to see you here again!

      Delete
  4. Like Uma, I think I like writing discussion posts best - but I totally agree with Di, when someone reads my review and wants to read the book because of it, that is an awesome feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah true!! Thanks for the comment, Angela <3

      Delete
  5. This was such a beautifully-presented collab post, you three! Oh my goodness, I love it. :)

    Agreed that discussion type posts are really good for interaction between readers/writers/fellow bloggers. I've only done a couple of them myself, but each time has been a great experience that everyone involved was able to benefit from. I have to agree with Uma on the second part, though - as a writer, writing posts are my personal love!

    I've thought about doing wrap-up posts.. Several blogging friends of mine do monthly ones, and they seem like wonderful ideas. Just don't know if I could make it work. But you've made me want to try it again.

    Thank you, Amy, for dropping by my blog earlier and following! It was a pleasure reading this and sort of getting introduced to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Eve!!

      Yeah totally! Discussions are so cool cos of the interaction and sharing of perspectives, and writing posts are amazing to write for writers!! (Whoa. That was a lot of "write" - lol).

      You should try it, I've found them to be so helpful :)

      Sure!! Glad you enjoyed this! N

      Delete
  6. Discussion posts are definitely fun! I haven't done many of them myself, but I love reading other peoples'.

    Aaahh I just love these blog squad posts so much! Even though I'm not a book blogger, I pick up lost of interesting stuff. Keep up the great work! <3

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are!! Hehe same ;)

      Awww thank you so much Audrey! I'm so glad! <3

      Delete
  7. Great post, I love to learn more about you all via these posts and there's so much interesting stuff about book blogging :)

    ReplyDelete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)