Wednesday, 21 June 2017

Waiting on Wednesday #38: FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS - by Julie C. Dao


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme originally hosted by Breaking the Spine and now taken over by Wishful Endings that highlights upcoming book releases we're excited to read. On my blog, I include movies as well.



Publication Date:  10th October 2017. 

An East Asian fantasy reimagining of The Evil Queen legend about one peasant girl's quest to become Empress--and the darkness she must unleash to achieve her destiny. Eighteen-year-old Xifeng is beautiful. The stars say she is destined for greatness, that she is meant to be Empress of Feng Lu. But only if she embraces the darkness within her. Growing up as a peasant in a forgotten village on the edge of the map, Xifeng longs to fulfill the destiny promised to her by her cruel aunt, the witch Guma, who has read the cards and seen glimmers of Xifeng's majestic future. But is the price of the throne too high? Because in order to achieve greatness, she must spurn the young man who loves her and exploit the callous magic that runs through her veins--sorcery fueled by eating the hearts of the recently killed. For the god who has sent her on this journey will not be satisfied until his power is absolute.

This looks so amazing!! I love the idea of the world and the characters, and it sounds so fascinating and unique and eerie!! And I LOVE re-imaginings and retellings!!!
AHHHH I SO desperately want a copy!! 

But the cover makes me nervous. Snakes. I really really hate snakes. Please let there be no graphic descriptions of snakes in this otherwise beautiful book. 



Anyone else excited for Forest of a Thousand Lanterns


24 comments:

  1. Gosh, I have the same problem with the cover . . . *shivers* The blurb sounds good, though, and I do hope you get to read it soon :)

    Here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious about this one! Sounds like a good read, though yeah, not feeling the snake on the cover either!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yeah the snake is a turnoff!
      Visited yours :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds really interesting, and that cover is so striking! Great choice, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does!
      Thanks Angela :)

      Delete
  4. YAASSSS this book is really fantastic! I hope you enjoy it :) Wonderful WoW pick!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay so glad to hear it! Thanks Brittany :)

      Delete
  5. Hi! Taking a quick moment from my vacation to say: Tag! You're it. I've nominated you for the You're Not Good Enough book tag (which I think you'll absolutely have a ball with). You can check out the post here. May the odds ever be in your favorite character's favor!

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks!! That sounds cool! Will check it out :) <3

      Delete
  6. I am not feeling the cover at all. The story sounds interesting though.
    Totally Addicted to Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah :( It does!
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. YES!!! I'm absolutely dying to get my hands on an ARC of this book because I need to read it so bad.
    I hope we both love it when it comes out :)
    Aneta @ Angelic Book Reviews 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME!! *high five*
      Thanks Aneta, I hope so too :)

      Delete
  8. You are definitely not the first person I've seen mentioning how they hate snakes. :D I think the cover is pretty cool and I especially love the light green background. I hope you enjoy this book when you get the chance to read it!

    Have a fantastic week, Amy. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ;)
      I'm glad! I'm not quite sold on it...
      Thanks Alyssa!

      Delete
  9. YES!!! I AM DYING TO READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!! :DDDD

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm waiting on this one, too! And I don't like snakes, either. In fact, I hesitated before featuring it in my "Can't Wait Wednesday" post, some time back...but then I was won over by that AWESOME plot!! I do wish the cover were different, though.... (And you know what they say about great minds, lol.)

    Thanks for coming by and leaving such a nice comment, Amy!! Hope you have an AMAZING weekend!! HUGS!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! And lol, they are horrible ;)
      I KNOW RIGHT?! The plot does sound amazing! But yeah, I'm not sold on the cover either :(

      Sure :) Thanks, you too Maria! HUGS! <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  11. Me too, me too!
    It's been on my TBR for months now :D
    I've been away for a while so I'm currently catching up on your posts ;)
    Also, SNAKES *shudders*. My fear of snake is pretty much the normal kind of fear a human has of snakes... like them being poisonous. It's not a phobia for me, but I have other phobias to know how scary it is *_*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! *high five*
      Hehe, welcome back :)
      THEY ARE HORRIBLE! But I'm glad yours isn't a phobia.... mine kinda is ;) Lol.
      Thanks for the comment, Zoey!

      Delete
  12. This sounds wonderful! I've seen it around, but haven't actually read the synopsis until now. I actually really like the cover! I guess it's because I'm not too afraid of snakes. :) Thanks for sharing Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! Haha lucky you ;)
      Thanks Genni :)

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)