Friday, 14 July 2017

The Blog Squad: A Blogger Collaboration - Part 18


We are a group of three book bloggers situated on different continents but brought together by our love for books and a penchant for talking about them. We’ve joined our forces to create a collaborative series of posts about book blogging and we hope you’ll enjoy the discussions. 

 A MAGICAL WORLD OF WORDS - AmyNikita 
 BOOKS.BAGS.BURGERS - Uma K 
 BOOK REVIEWS BY DI - Di Hewlett

How long have you been blogging? Have you celebrated any milestones yet? 


I’ve actually been blogging for just over a year and I totally forgot about my blogiversary. It hasn’t helped that this year (2017) has been super manic. I managed to take off for six weeks to spend time with my little one with my family (being my folks and aunts and uncles and cousins) and we celebrated a couple of big birthdays with my cousins (a 21st and a 30th). It was amazing to spend this time with such special people in my life but it didn’t help my blogging and reading. I’ve also been incredibly busy at work, both catching up from my time away and just because we’ve been crazy busy. I’m hoping that the second half of this year will end up being a little calmer in my life and I’ll be able to carve out some more time for my hobbies.



Well I celebrated my 3 month anniversary with an entire theme change on my blog and then I promptly forgot my 6 month anniversary! But September will be my 1 year anniversary and I’m SO excited for it! I can’t believe it’s almost one year now! Feels like yesterday I was messing around with blog templates and graphics. I’ve not yet decided on how I’ll be celebrating my 1 year anniversary but I hope to do something fun!


Do you have any confessions from your ‘newbie’ blogger days? 



Probably the worst thing I’ve ever done is tag an author in a negative review… WHAT WAS I THINKING??? In my defense (although it’s not a very good one) I was just trying to do the right thing and tag all the right people! I didn’t even once stop to think (until it was too late) that the author just may not appreciate my point of view!




Hmmm...I guess when I first started, I was too caught up on the numbers. I spent so much time trying to gain followers and get more comments. I was obsessed with the view count etc etc. I also kind of got into a blogging slump at the beginning because of that! I’m so glad I got over that and started to actually blog because i loved it. I still feel very silly when I think about it. I still feel happy whenever I gain a new follower but I’m no longer obsessed with the numbers and stats.


Do you get blog envy? And what do you do about it? 


Of course I do! There’s so many amazing blogs out there it’s so easy to become envious or jealous of the gorgeous graphics, the amount of books read, the ARCs received, the amount of followers etc. etc. etc. But envy is never pretty. 

I prefer to concentrate on WHY I blog in the first place, and HOW I might be able to better myself and my OWN blog. I’ve designed my own graphics, I’ve worked and worked on my layout (and by worked I mean “changed everything until nothing makes sense or works anymore and then fiddled and tweaked and I’m STILL not happy!”) and I request the books that I want to read and promote regardless of their popularity. 

Let other blogs motivate and inspire you, but don’t ever forget to focus on yourself and your own successes.

I definitely do! Like Di said, there are so many amazing bloggers out there who have wonderful blogs! I remember being really envious of most bloggers when I first started my blog and I’m happy to say I’ve been more in control of my envy lately. There are so many inspiring bloggers we can learn from but it’s also important to focus on our own uniqueness. Ever since i started focusing more on how to make my blog “ME” I stopped getting too envious of other bloggers. I still admire other blogs for the gorgeous design or the wonderful writing but I never put myself down for I believe I too have my own unique style that stands out.


Come check out my answers over at their collab posts!: 




 We hope you’ve enjoyed Part 18 in our series of discussion posts! Please talk to us and let us know YOUR answers below. 
What do you think of our responses? If you have any specific questions you’d like us to address in the future, please let us know in the comments section below. Stay tuned for next week’s questions!

10 comments:

  1. I think my confession would be that I had a pretty bad look to my blog when I first started. I thought it looked interesting until my sister pointed out that it was actually kind of hard to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah shame! I actually had the same problem, lol :)
      Thanks for the comment, Angela!

      Delete
  2. It can be hard to balance life with blogging- glad you were able to get away and get a nice break Di! And it can be hard not to compare to other blogs, but yeah being yourself is the best way to stay motivated and having fun as a blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! It was great to get that time out, but hard to catch up again! I'm so far behind on everything in my life and the year is more than half done already! How did THAT happen? I will be around on your blog soon. There's some flash fiction specifically that I'm dying to read!

      Definitely hard not to compare to other blogs, but at the end of the day it's just like people - we just have to be the best version of ourselves and stay try to who WE are!

      Delete
  3. December will be my one year anniversary and I'm planning to do something special to celebrate. I've been blogging for 7 months now. I can't believe it's been so long. At least It's felt that way for me and I've enjoyed the experience so very much.

    I've never been jealous when I saw awesome blogs and bloggers because they turned out to be amazing people. They've taught me about the ins and outs of blogging and inspired me. There were times when I felt like I was in deep reading slumps and didn't feel like reading at all. I didn't enjoy any books I was reading, and they helped me out of those horrible feelings.

    These discussion posts of yours are one of the factors that has inspired me. So, thank you so much. You all have no idea how inspiring you are. I've got so many tips from you guys. So, please keep doing it and keep being awesome as you are because it helps lots of newbies like I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool, congrats!

      That's a really good point :) I'm glad that helped you - I think I should try look at it like that!

      Awww thank you for such a beautiful comment, Geybie <3 That means a lot.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Great post again ladies! And congrats on the (upcoming) blogoversaries <3
    I totally relate to everything you're saying!
    I get blogging envy too! Especially in the beginning I had this a lot, because I felt like other bloggers did everything so much better and got so any more followers and I caught myself getting stuck focusing on the numbers too much. Lately I still get blogging envy sometimes, but I try to focus on quality over quantity. I don't mind not having hundreds or thousands of followers, but I do love being able to talk and interact with the followers I do have and have more meaningful, quality interactions. And instead of envy, I try to get inspired by other amazing bloggers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey!
      I felt exactly the same! And it can be so hard :(
      But you're so right; the interaction is definitely the most important thing, and that's a true reward in itself.
      Thanks for the lovely comment :)

      Delete
  5. Yay ladies! We're still going strong. I'm so glad to have you ladies as part of my blogging life!

    ReplyDelete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)