Friday, 21 October 2016

Scary Stories & Freaky Films: Scare yourself this Halloween! (well, duh) Muahahahaha


Halloween's all for getting creeped out and spooked and hiding under the covers because you're sure that branch crashing against your bedroom window is some part of a hideous, half-dead, blood-sucking monster who's dying (pun intended) to kill you. 
Or maybe that's just me. 
(Blame the book I was reading at the moment...)





I've picked these films with teenagers in mind. I haven't watched any of them, but I think I'd like to; just to scare myself ;) And the title is Freaky Films, so these films are leaning more towards weird :) 

Beautiful Creatures is all about spells and witches, dark and light, freaky and weird ;) I read the book but still haven't got round to seeing the film.

The Cabin in the Woods is the story of a group of teens staying in this run-down house, when one of the girls accidentally wakes some zombies. Oops. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'll ever have the guts to watch this, but still......it fits into the freaky categry.

The House at the End of the Street stars Jennifer Lawrence as a girl who, when moving into a new house & new town with her mom, discovers horrors lurking in a house nearby that are tied to an accident that happened years ago. *chills*  Maybe I'll watch this in a year. Or two years. *when I'm big and brave*

Red Riding Hood has werewolves, forbidden love, and a very freaky Gothic atmosphere. Yeah, I think I'll brave this one.

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters has tons of gore (yuck) and two adults braving the forest to save the kids being taken by these REALLY freaky looking witches. (Yep, the evil cackle and everything). I'm not eager to see the gore (ew just ew) but it does look really action-packed, and this Hansel and Gretel are definitely badass ;)
Oh, and this film is  basically a horror film. (I admit my determination is wavering. Again, maybe when I'm big and brave.)

Mortal Instruments: City of Bones looks cool, but I don't know if I'll ever watch it. I STILL haven't read the books (I KNOW I KNOW), but, well, I don't know. It is kinda a horror YA fantasy, so I'd like to try it, but we'll see!




I've only read four of the above books, but I guarantee that they're all likely to be scary and definitely Halloween-ish!

The Screaming Staircase is the first book in the Lockwood and Co. series, and I read it last year. There's ghosts, hauntings, and it's so well written. Definitely a fun, rather tame Halloween read :)

Stalking Jack the Ripper is a new release that I am DYING to read! It looks absolutely fantastic and so deliciously scary and horrifying and exciting :)

Dracula is a classic, perfectly scary Halloween read. And since it's a classic, I'm DEFINITELY making sure I read it soon.

Sisters Red is a gritty, dark, action-packed urban fantasy retelling of Red Riding Hood and OH MY WORD it is one of my favourite books ever. It's the perfect chilling Halloween read, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth is a zombie book that although I didn't find very good, it definitely qualifies as a Halloween read. The dark, raw atmosphere, packed with zombies and death, makes it a very scary read.

Anna Dressed in Blood looks dark and creepy and very ghostly. The premise looks very weird and interesting, so yeah, I'd like to give it a shot :)


Have you watched or read any of these weird and wonderful books or movies? What do you think of them? Are there any other scary stories or freaky films you're planning to watch or read this Halloween?

6 comments:

  1. I don't watch any remotely scary movies because I'm a chicken, the scariest movie I watch every Halloween is The Nightmare Before Christmas! But I can't wait to read some Halloween books, such as Anna Dressed in Blood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a very sensible policy! And I've never watched The Nightmare Before Christmas, can u believe it?! I really must.
      Hope you get to read Anna Dressed In Blood soon :)

      Delete
  2. I love the Lockwood & Co books!!! *_*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! and I borrowed The Screaming Staircase from you that time :)

      Delete
  3. I really liked Hansel and Gretel! Though my view of the movie might be partial due to my love for Jeremy Renner :P I'll be starting with Anna Dressed in Blood by tomorrow...It sounds really interesting! I'll let you know what I think about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES I also love Jeremy! That's why I feel like I wanna see it, lol ;)
      Oooh COOL!! Hope you enjoy it! I'd love to know what you think :)

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)