Thursday, 20 October 2016

THE CROWN (The Selection #5) - by Kiera Cass

Year Published: 2016 - by Harper Teen.
Pages: 279.
Genres: Young adult/romance/dystopian
Author: Kiera Cass.
Source: Library.
Goodreads: The Crown

Blurb:
When Eadlyn became the first princess of IllĂ©a to hold her own Selection, she didn’t think she would fall in love with any of her thirty-five suitors. She spent the first few weeks of the competition counting down the days until she could send them all home. But as events at the palace force Eadlyn even further into the spotlight, she realizes that she might not be content remaining alone.

Eadlyn still isn’t sure she’ll find the fairytale ending her parents did twenty years ago. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you…and soon Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more impossible—and more important—than she ever imagined.


The Crown was a sweet and relaxing read, but I found the characters and plot seriously lacking.


The One is the only other Selection novel I've ever read. Needless to say, I was a bit thrown while reading this, but I managed to pick up what was going on after a few chapters ;) 

Cass's style is very easy to read; it's simplistic and relaxing and sweet and fun, but nothing's incredibly profound or amazing.  The cover is GORGEOUS, and it's cover I really fell in love with; not the book.  

It was ok. 
I liked Eadlyn's character - she was very down-to-earth and I enjoyed being inside her head - but all the other characters seemed meshed into each other with no one particularly standing out clearly with their own individualistic personalities. In other words, the characters weren't three-dimensional enough for me to, for example, tell who's talking without tags, or know beforehand what that particular character would do in a situation. They weren't rounded enough.  

The actual story/plot was very rushed, and yet it was also boring. There was no physical fights or proper action, and I really missed that. It was........slow and rushed at the same time; if you know what I mean.  

I couldn't connect with any of the characters. However fun and refreshing I found Eadlyn, I didn't emotionally feel for her. And to be honest, I didn't really care about book's outcome, either; let alone who it was that Eadlyn would end up marrying. 


I give it: 2 and a half flowers!



8 comments:

  1. This is one of those series where I know I'm more than likely not to enjoy. Just because I'm not a fan of the Bachelor-esque themes. Too bad it wasn't as enjoyable as you'd hoped, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's not for everyone. And to be honest, I'm not a big fan of books where the romance is the main theme. I prefer it when it's interwoven, otherwise I find there's hardly any action.

      Delete
  2. This was definitely my least favourite of The Selection series. I found that the story really took a wrong turn once Eadlyn came around. You've got to read the other books because they were just so much better than Eadlyn's story! In the book previous to this, The Heir, Eadlyn had a lot more different personality that really threw me off the rest of the series. I'd be curious to know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really interesting to know. I'll definitely look out for the previous books. Thanks for those thoughts!

      Delete
  3. Sorry this one was a bit disappointing. I actually enjoyed the one before this a lot and found it surprisingly good after I had read the Selection series. I thought Eadlyn was a refreshing character from Cass and, let's be honest, these books are never going to be that deep and meaningful - they're light and fluffy entertainment about romance. But this one was again, a let-down.

    Hope your next read is more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear your thoughts on it :) And so true, they are simply light entertainment. I hope to read the rest of the series soon, which I think will give me better perspective on the whole series arc, etc.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Awww, 2.5. :/ I've only read The Selection, and I didn't like it, to be honest. I'd tried reading the second book but couldn't get into it. Perhaps it was the drama aspect - I couldn't stand it! And the perpetuated love triangle. Bleh. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this book!

    Have a fabulous week. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! All those things annoyed me as well :(
      Thanks! You too :)

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)