Saturday, 31 December 2016

2016 End of Year Book (and Movie) Survey



This is an annual survey created by The Perpetual Page Turner that allows you to sum up your year in books. And, in my case, movies too. Thus I've edited the original questions slightly to allow movies as well :) AND deleted some questions that are non-applicable to me.  
The graphic above is from the original survey. I credit Jamie :)

Since I only started blogging halfway through the year, most of the books and movies I mention below have not been reviewed on my blog. 



1:  Number of Books & Movies You Watched & Read: 
Books: 127 (including school reads)
Movies: 44.

2:  Number of Re-Reads/Re-Watches: 
Books: Not sure! I don't think any...
Movies: 2 

3:  Genre You Read/Watched the Most From:
Book: Hmm......either fantasy or contemporary. 
Movie:  Thriller/action


1: Best Book/s & Movie/s of 2016:
Books:
- Winterkill  - by Kate A. Boorman
- Sisters Red  - by Jackson Pearce.
- The Girl on the Train  - by Paula Hawkins.
- Don't Look Now  - by Michelle Gagnon.  
- Splintered -  by A. G. Howard
- How To Fall in Love -  by Cecelia Ahern
- Room -  by Emma Donoghue.
Movies:   
- Room.
- Emma.
- Safe Haven. 
- The Help.

2:  Book/Movie you were excited to read/watch and thought you'd love but didn't:
Book: Wicked Lovely. 
Movie: The Huntsman: Winter's War.

3:  Most surprising book/movie you read/watched: 
Book: Don't Look Now, by Michelle Gagnon. That end death was a total surprise and ripped my heart apart.  
Movie: Not sure. I guess I'll go with Captain America: Civil War; even though I knew what the shocking ending revelation was, it still hurt and it was still very powerful. 

4:  Best series you started in 2016/best sequel of 2016/best series ender of 2016: 
Book: Don't Look Now was a brilliant sequel to Don't Turn Around
Movie: I started the Bourne series, and The Bourne Ultimatum was my favourite of the series. (Excluding the "spin-off" The Bourne Legacy)

5:  New favourite author you discovered in 2016: 
Emma Donoghue

6:  Best book/movie out of a genre you don't usually read/watch:
Book: The Sealed Letter. I don't usually read historical fiction. 
Movie: Emma. I don't usually enjoy romantic "chick-flicks". 

7 :  Most action-packed, thrilling, gripping book/movie of the year:
Book: Sisters Red and the Throne of the Glass series in terms of action; and the Throne of Glass series, Gone Girl, Twilight, and The Girl on the Train in terms of unputdownable.
Movie: The Bourne Ultimatum in terms of action, and A Perfect Murder in terms of suspense. 

8:  Book and Movie you are most likely to re-read/re-watch next year:
Book: Black Ice. I feel like I need to revamp my review for that one. 
Oh! and Winterkill, too, probably.  
Movie: Emma.

9:  Favourite cover of 2016:
Book: Splintered, and Winterkill.
Movie: The Help and Water for Elephants.


10:  Most memorable character of 2016:
Book: Scarlett from Sisters Red, and Rachel from The Girl on the Train
Movie:  Iron Man in Captain America: Civil War. I loved the development of his character arc. 

11:  Most beautifully written/filmed book/movie of the year: 
Book: It's a toss-up between Splintered and Room.
Movie: The Constant Gardener.

12:  Most thought-provoking, life-changing book/movie of the year: 
Book: Room.
Movie: The Help.

13:  Book/Movie you can't believe you waited until 2016 to read/watch:
Book: Twilight, and Throne of Glass.
Movie: The Help.

14:  Favourite passage/quote from a book/movie this year:
Books: 






15:  Longest & shortest book/movie of the year:
Book: Longest was Breaking Dawn. The shortest was one of my school books.
Movie:  Longest: I watched a lot of 2 hour movies this year, so to name a few: Shakespeare in Love, Twilight: New Moon.....and the shortest.....I'm not sure.

16:  Book/Movie that shocked you the most: 
Book: Gone Girl. Amy was one crazy psycho! 
Movie: The Secret Life of Words. It was so heartbreaking and real. And The Dressmaker; Teddy's death was such a shock :( 

17:  OTP of the year:
Book: Noa and Zeke from the Don't Turn Around series.
Movie: Peter and Gwen from The Amazing Spiderman and The Amazing Spiderman 2. 

18:  Favourite non-romantic relationship of the year: 
Book: Ma and Jack's relationship in Room. 
Movie: Everyone's dynamic in The Help. There was such amazing chemistry between the cast. 

19:  Favourite book from an author you've read previously: 
How To Fall in Love - by Cecelia Ahern. 

20:  Newest fictional crush: 
Book: Dorian, from Throne of Glass.
Movie: Andrew Garfield's Spiderman ;) 

21:  Best world building/vivid book setting: 
The Throne of Glass series, and Splintered

22:  Book/Movie that was the most fun to read/watch:
Book: The Queen's Lady, and The Poisoned Apples. And Sense and Sensibility; during which I found myself soaking up the words obsessively and loving it a lot more than I thought I would. 
Movie: Emma.

23:  Book/Movie that made you cry:
I cry a lot. 
Book: Don't Look Now, Heir of Fire, 
Movie: Room, The Secret Life of Words, Safe Haven, The Help, Captain America: Civil War, The Amazing Spiderman 2.

24:  Hidden gem of the year:
Book: Sisters Red.
Movie:  Fracture.

25:  Book/Movie that crushed your soul:
Book: Room. Don't Look Now.
Movie: Room, Safe Haven, and The Amazing Spiderman 2 (GWEN's DEATH! My darling ship...)

26:  Most unique book/movie you read/watched this year: 
Book: The Poisoned Apples, by Lily Archer.   
Movie: The Dressmaker. 

27:  Book/Movie that made you mad: 
Book: The sexism in Splintered made my blood BOIL. And the sexism in Twilight was horrific too. 
I was also angry with I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You; it was supposed to be a spy book, but it was all tell and no show. 
Movie: There were quite a lot! But The Secret Life of Words made me furious because of the horrific treatment the heroine suffered at the hands of men. 



1:  New favourite blog you discovered in 2016:
Since this is my first year of blogging, every blog I've discovered is amazing. But I especially enjoy visiting Book Reviews By Di and Books Bags Burgers

2:  Favourite review you wrote in 2016:
Hmm, hard to choose. But I'll probabaly go with: 
Book review: Splintered, and The Sealed Letter.
Movie review: A Perfect Murder, and Emma.

3:  Best non-review post you wrote: 
Things Writers Can Relate To - I had such fun writing this. 

4:  Best bloggish/bookish moment: 
When Jackson Pearce - author of Sisters Red and one of my favourite authors ever - replied to my tweet when I tweeted my review of her book. She said "Thank you! This makes me happy :)". 
I DIED YOU KNOW COS IT WAS LIKE SHE BOTHERED TO ACKNOWLEDGE MY EXISTENCE. 

5:  Most challenging thing about your blogging/reading life:  
HTML and designing my blog. Enough said.

6:  Most popular post on my blog:

7:  Did you complete any goals or challenges you'd set for yourself during the year:  
I completed my Goodreads goal, which was awesome :) I read 127 books instead of the 100 I'd set for myself.



1:  One book/movie you didn't get to this year but will in 2017: 
Book: A Court of Thorns and Roses.
Movie: Me Before You

2:  Books/Movies you are most anticipating for 2017:
Books: Roseblood by A. G Howard, Caraval by Stephanie Garber, and many, many more!
Movies: La La Land

3:  One thing you are hoping to accomplish in your blogging/reading life in 2017: 
I want to be more disciplined about commenting back on other bloggers' blogs when they've commented on mine. 
More on resolutions tomorrow :) 

Happy slightly early New Year everyone! Hope you have a wonderful 2017! 
Xx



P.S: Next year I think I'll do separate surveys for my books and movies. This was hard........
Lol

44 comments:

  1. Wow I'm super jealous at all those books you read this year. It wasn't the best reading year for me, but to see you so totally slay 2016 reading wise is kind of inspiring. I agree, Amy is one crazy girl. I found that I enjoyed the movie more than I did the book, but oh well...
    Great recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, sorry :( I hope you get to read a LOT more in 2017 :)
      Yeah she was crazy! I haven't watched the movie yet, but I don't think I will - the book was kinda enough for me! Lol. But if you say you enjoyed the movie more, then yes, maybe I should get round to watching it sometime :)
      Thanks! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. This was really fun to read!! It looks like you read a lot of books and watched a lot of movies this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Haha I did indeed!
      Happy New Year and all the best to you :) <3

      Delete
  3. 44 films is pretty impressive...I think I managed about 5? I need to improve on that. Maybe you can inspire me! I agree that Splintered is a fantastic cover...I think all of that series looks beautiful. I wish I liked retellings so i could buy them all! Thanks for all the blog visits you've made to me the last few months and have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eish, I guess it is rather.....looking back ;) Haha that'd be awesome!
      Oooh yes Splintered is gorgeous, I hope you get to read it in 2017! I also LOVE retellings :) Hope you get to buy them all! (Hey, we bookworms can wish, right?!) <3
      My absolute pleasure, I love visiting your blog. And the same thanks goes from me to you. I appreciate every comment from you, and love it when you visit <3
      Thank you, a Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  4. Wow Amy! I'm so glad you had an amazing year! That's a lot of books and a lot of movies! <3 You've been an amzing blogger and friend in 2016! I'm so glad I got to know you <3 And yeah I started my blog more than halfway through the year too so I can't remember some of the books I read >_< but Yay for you!! I hope you have a fun 2017!! I did a yearly post too but not Jamie's format but yearly wrap ups are definitely fun to write!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Uma! Haha, it is rather ;)
      Ah gosh that's so kind of you <3 I'm so glad I got to know you too, and I absolutely love visiting your blog. My favourite part of blogging is definitely the blogging community. I've met so many amazing people this year :)
      Just visited your post :) Have a WONNNNNDERFUUUULLL 2017!! Xx

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a great year. You're def making making me want to read a few of these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I did, hehe :) And I hope you get to read them all in 2017!!
      Happy New Year! <3

      Delete
  6. Oh, looks like you had a great reading and movie watching year! I love how you included both books and movies! Makes me want to get back into watching movies regularly :) Have a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, thank you! Haha glad you enjoyed it :) Oooh yes, happy watching for 2017 then!
      Thank you, and to you! May it be a wonderful, beautiful year for you :) <3

      Delete
  7. Oh my, so many books and movies . . . Some I read/watched, others are on my list, and a few I'll have to check!
    Ironically, I watched Captain America: Civil War last night and I felt the same about Iron Man <3
    Wish you a truly Happy New Year, may it bring you everything you want AND more amazing reads & movies!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know *sigh* :) Hehe.
      That's great, I hope you get to read and watch the ones you didn't get to this year, next year!! Yay you too! Yeah, I love how he developed :)
      Thank you so much, Silvia, and to you :) Haha we can wish, right?! <3

      Delete
  8. THIS LIST IS AMAZING! Congrats for watching and reading all of those and then REMEMBERING them!

    I adore the Bourne Legacy movies and yes Gwen's death was so so tragic :(

    And HTML...I can totally relate :P

    Anyway, happy early New Year! I hope you find some more amazing books and movies in 2017. I can't wait for the reviews! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW THANK YOU!! It is an awesome survey, I was so hyped to find it! Haha THANK YOU!! Lol :)
      OH OH OH! I didn't know that!!! We must definitely talk more...
      Oh yes, Gwen's death absolutely tore my heart out. I knew it was coming, but still......that HURT :(

      Haha. Yeah, I think all bloggers can relate to that *sigh*. Curse of the business, right?!

      Thank you Audrey! Ah I hope so too, thanks! Have a blessed 2017 :) <3

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a good reading and watching year. I love the Bourne movies. Definitely don't miss Me Before You next year. I loved it, even though I made the tactical error of watching such a tearjerker on an airplane.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm glad you love the Bourne movies too! I've kinda had a love-hate thing with them; liked one, then hated the other, etc, etc ;)
      Oooh great to hear you loved it! Although yeah, watching a tearjerker on a plane can be awkward ;) Lol.
      Thank you, and to you! May it be a wonderful one :)

      Delete
  10. Wow you read a lot!! Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I guess so :) Thanks, and to you!

      Delete
  11. Glad you had a great year of reading and watching!! And YES you have to read ACOTAR sometime soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha I've just started it, so YAY!!
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  12. Awesome post! I've wanted to watch Captain America Civil War but I never got the chance to. Let's hope I can check it out this year!

    Here’s my 2016 End of Year Book Survey!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Ah shame :( Well, I hope you get to see it this year! It's good :)
      Just visited your post :)
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  13. You watch a lot of movies hehe. I just watch mostly Hindi ones so no one knows about them, and I don't talk about them on my blog. SERIOUSLY SO MUCH LOVE FOR DORIAN, HE IS ADORABLE.
    Prabhleen @ Booksarelife987

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe *grins guilty*
      Oooh that's cool :) Glad you like them!
      I KNOW RIGHT CAN I PLEASE HAVE HIM <3
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  14. Looks like you had a great year for books and movies! I'm curious: which version of "Emma" did you watch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, thank you! I watched the 1998 Gwyneth Paltrow one; it was SO brilliant. Which version have you seen?

      Delete
    2. I've seen the Gwyneth Paltrow one (which is pretty good) the more recent BBC/PBS version (which was pretty decent), but my favorite is probably this older version starring Kate Beckinsale. I thought the casting in that one was really on point. Though the gold standard for casting is still BBC's super-long Pride & Prejudice adaptation. :)

      Delete
    3. Oooh I haven't seen the Beckinsale one, but I love her as an actress so I'll definitely look out for it now. Glad you enjoyed it :)
      Oh yes the P & P series was excellent. I hated the Kiera Knightley movie, though, I thought it was really bad. But then, who can beat the casting of the series?! Have you seen the movie?

      Delete
    4. I thought the Keira Knightley movie was okay, but BBC's version was perfection. :) Did you see the other recent BBC Austen remakes? I thought the new versions of Sense & Sensibility and Northanger Abbey were particularly good.

      Delete
    5. Oh ok :) I've seen quite a few of them, but I can't remember which exact ones. I LOVED the S & S with Kate Winslet, that's probably my favourite Austen movie. I just adore that cast; pure British talent :) I really disliked the other version of S& S, though. What did you think of those? I watched one version of Northanger Abbey, with Felicity Jones; that was okay, but I don't remember much about it cos I saw it a long time ago. Have you seen it? What other Austen films have you seen?

      Delete
    6. I actually liked the recent S&S remake more than the Kate Winslet/Hugh Grant version, but I know a lot of people love that one. Yep, the Felicity Jones Northanger Abbey is the one I saw; I thought that Mr. Tilney was pretty good. :)

      I've also seen Love & Friendship (which was quirky, but funny), two versions of Mansfield Park (neither of which was super great), one or two versions of Persuasion, Death Comes to Pemberley (a P&P mystery sequel), and Austenland (which is contemporary and not based on an Austen novel, but silly and fairly fun).

      Delete
    7. Okay :)
      Oops, I can't even remember Mr. Tilney very well. I seriously need to do an Austen marathon and re-watch everything!

      Wow, quite a number of them, then :) I really need to watch those. Oh! and I actually saw Austenland for sale and debated buying it, but then decided against it cos it didn't look that good. But maybe, as you say, it would be fairly fun to see; even if it's silly.

      Delete
  15. I love reading and watching movies as well! It's so amazing you read a lot of books for 2016! Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY I'M SO GLAD TO MEET A FELLOW FAN!! Haha thanks! Thanks, to you too!
      Have a lovely week :)

      Delete
  16. I do agree with you. Splintered has a gorgeous cover so it's no wonder that it's one of your favorite covers of 2016. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Splintered's cover is gorgeous. Before I even read the blurb, I wanted to read the book :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  17. Ahh! Cool round up! Also thanks for the shoutout! :) I have LOVED visiting and chatting with you too. :)

    Wishing you a very happy 2017 and hope that this year is a fantastic one bookish and otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And my pleasure :) Aww thanks Di!

      Thanks so much, and to you :) Have a lovely - and hopefully not too busy?! - week ahead!

      Delete
  18. Wow, congrats on reading 127 books, that is incredible! Fantasy and contemporary are the two genres that I read the most from. I LOVED Room, both the book and the movie. Such a beautiful, moving story. I still need to watch Emma, I hear such good things for that. The Help and Water for Elephants are too of my favourite book adaptation covers too, they are stunning. Have you read the book, or just seen the film? I loved both. YES, to Peter and Gwen from The Amazing Spiderman, I loved them. So sad they replaced Andrew Garfield as Spiderman, I loved him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh cool!
      Yay that's awesome! And totally, it was an amazing book and movie, so beautifully tragic.
      Oh yes I highly recommend Emma. Hope you get to see it soon!
      Yes they're so beautiful, aren't they? Glad you like them :)
      I've read the books of both of them, as well. Also wonderful :)
      Ah YAY you liked them too! <3 Oh I know :( I was so disappointed too :( I just loved him and Stone together <3
      Thanks for the comment! Have a lovely rest of the week :)

      Delete
  19. What a GREAT idea for a post! I think I'll be joining in with this meme at the end of this year.

    I can't believe how many books you read last year!! I can't tell you how many I read, because the answer would be laughable! But it was nowhere near your amount, that's for sure.

    You watched a LOT of movies, too! How do you DO it, girl? Lol. I hardly watched any. The most recent one I saw was "Rogue One", which I didn't like at all. But, I'm looking forward to seeing "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them", as well as "La La Land"!

    Since I'm a Twihard (as well as a Potterhead, lol), I have to tell you that I'm SUPER happy you've finally read this series!!! YAAAAAY!!!! Now, of course, I HAVE to ask you the inevitable question: Are you Team Edward or Team Jacob? Hahahaha! I'm mostly Team Edward, although sometimes Jacob's sultry look (and GREAT abs!) really get to me....lol.

    You have SO many great news in this post, I have to come back to it in order to digest it all! So, I'm bookmarking this page!

    Thanks for sharing all of this AWESOME stuff!!! Also, thanks BUNCHES for being such a NICE blogging buddy!!!

    Here's to a VERY HAPPY 2017 for you & your family!! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cool idea, isn't it?! I was so excited to find out about it.

      Lol! I love reading, hehe ;) Ah no shame! I hope you get to read more this year <3

      Oooh those look like great movies, enjoy! Especially LA LA LAND WHICH I AM BEYOND EXCITED TO WATCH! RYAN AND EMMA DANCING AND SINGING YES YES PLEASE! Lol.

      Haha lol ;) Yay I'm glad you're glad! Oh, that's easy: TEAM EDWARD!! (Although to be honest, Jasper's my bae. #Jalice for the win ;)
      But yeah, Jake definitely has that look.... (and abs...)

      Lol! Glad you're liking it!

      Thank YOU for reading it all and not going square-eyed, lol! I'm so glad to have met you and your blog; here's to many more years of blogging friendship!! <3 <3

      Thank you Maria, and to yours!!

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)