Thursday, 20 July 2017

KONG: SKULL ISLAND (film) is poorly written and underdeveloped

KONG: SKULL ISLAND - 2017
Director: Jordan Vogt-Roberts.
Cast: Tom Hiddleston / Samuel L. Jackson / Brie Larson / John Goodman
Content Rating: PG 13 for intense sequences of fantasy violence and action, and brief strong language.
Source: Rented.


A team of scientists explore an uncharted island in the Pacific, venturing into the domain of the mighty Kong, and must fight to escape a primal Eden.






This film left me extremely disappointed. I was so excited to watch it because I love Tom and Brie and lots of action, and my heart was shattered when it didn't live up to my expectations.
I still enjoyed it, but I'm not desperate for a re-watch.



It's a fun adventure flick, with some fantastic drama in a few scenes. The colours are vibrant, the cinematography is snappy and original (there are some awesome shots), and the musical score is solid.
But the dialogue is terrible. It relies solely on clichés for its dramatic statements, and it's badly written and boring with no real intelligence or wit to it at all. There are some nice humorous moments, but they never quite get there; it's too poorly written to have drawn more than the occasional, amused smile from me.
It's shallow, but it is fun and funky all the same.

The story's badly written and riddled with cliches that spew from every aspect. The beginning of the movie, especially, is a mess of jumbled characters and locations, and there's no proper development as to the expedition and the consequences/rewards.  It's weak and unconvincing. And the plot is extremely shallow.

The action is the best thing about the movie. It's epic, huge, and the CGI is spectacular. Every scene of the towering Kong is deliciously impressive, and the fight scenes are fast and ambitious.
I loved them.


The supporting cast is solid but not outstanding, and the leads are mediocre. Samuel L. Jackson is in a typical role for him, and I thought his acting was downright bad. The classic and brilliant John Goodman is wasted, and my darling Tom Hiddleston - despite looking exceptionally hot wielding a rifle and occasionally a sword - is wooden. Brie Larson (one of my favourite actresses ever) is probably the strongest of the cast, and she's definitely the most animated and enthusiastic. But even she isn't on top form.

The "romance" is perfectly subtle, and never distracts from the real threat at hand. But the relationship between Weaver and Conrad is never properly developed, despite Tom and Brie's easy chemistry. Their romance just sort of "happens", without a proper arc and buildup. It's another wasted opportunity, although I did love the moments between Weaver and Conrad - simply because I love Tom and Brie's dynamic so much.


There's no character development. Both Conrad and Weaver have massive potential, and I loved the idea that she's a war photographer and he's a cocky tracker with a background, but there's no depth to these surface labels!  They aren't fighting any internal battles, and their motivations are solely to survive. Believable, but boring. And in the end they're just two flat cardboard cut-outs whom even the actors can't save. It's so frustrating.
However, I did love that Weaver's character wasn't just a damsel. She gets in on the action and more than once saves the day. I loved that.



Kong: Skull Island is a feast for the eyes thanks to incredible CGI and the frequent spectacle of its towering hero. But the plot and characters are weak and underdeveloped, and the acting is wooden.
A fun adventure movie, but badly written.



18 comments:

  1. Oh this is good to know because I've been thinking of renting this at Amazon. I was kind of excited about Tom and Brie too, I don't even really care about Kong lol it's more the eerie mysterious island and the two leads that I'm interested in. Too bad the dialogue and general writing had to be so bad. Sigh. :(

    Yup good to know though, I won't rush to see it and when I do I'll keep my expectations in check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yeah I was most interested in them too. It was such a disappointment :(

      Yeah good idea :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh, why do they always have to shove in a dumb romance to every film? Can't we have women who are strong charactwers and not another love interest? I think I'll be giving this a miss which is a pity as I'd been wanting to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more like all the characters were wasted; not just Larson's. And she wasn't just a love interest - she actually had some key moments in the film where she was hero. So I don't think that was the issue.
      But yeah, good idea!

      Delete
  3. It's too bad that you didn't like this! I'm not really interested in these types of movies, anyway, so I'll most definitely skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I know!
      Yeah, if you're not into action adventure, then give it a miss. The action was all it had going for it, really.

      Delete
  4. Oh, too bad! I love big adventure movies, although I always go into them with lower expectations as to dialogue and sometimes even plot - it's really more about the big action sequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! Ugh!!
      But the action does deliver, so maybe you'd still like it :)

      Delete
  5. I actually really enjoyed this movie, but I didn't have any expectations about the characters. I do agree with you that they were underdeveloped and the acting wasn't the best, but I think the CGI and action made it up for me. I hope you like your next movie more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you did, Genni!! I envy you!
      But yeah, that was disappointing :( Although the action and CGI were awesome!

      Delete
  6. I did like King Kong when it came out all those years ago, so I was kind of looking forward to this one, but not so much now. It sounds like it isn't very well written and that it just isn't a good story. Maybe something nice to watch some night for fun, but I was hoping for more :(

    My recent movie review: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2017/06/12-years-slave-movie-review.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it isn't :( Such a pity, and I was too!

      Yay! Will visit yours now :)

      Delete
  7. I love Tom and Brie. It really saddens me that this turned out lackluster, for the most part, considering I've seen both actors perform much stronger.

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO!! UGH!!
      Yeah same :( It was such a waste of their talent.

      Delete
  8. Oh no Amy! I'm sorry this was a disappointment - I know you were so looking forward to it.

    It always makes me happy when the soundtrack is solid - that's always a bonus and I love movie sound tracks.

    I still wouldn't mind watching it to check it out and especially for the CGI!

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Di! And I really was :( :(

      Yeah true. It's great when they get that right.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Oh what a bummer!! I was really looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Ah I'm so sorry :( I was too!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)