Saturday, 22 July 2017

PASSENGERS (film) is boring but heartfelt

PASSENGERS - 2016
Director: Morten Tyldum.
Cast: Jennifer Lawrence / Chris Pratt / Micheal Sheen / Andy Garcia / Laurence Fishburne
Content Rating: PG 13 for sexuality, nudity, and action/peril.
Source: Rented.


A spacecraft traveling to a distant colony planet and transporting thousands of people has a malfunction in its sleep chambers. As a result, two passengers are awakened 90 years early.






I wasn't expecting much when I sat down to watch this movie. It'd been panned by critics, and I'm not mad about sci-fi anyway. But it's been dubbed "Titanic in space", so I was keen to check it out anyway.


The visuals are impressive, and the sets are romantic and whimsical with an intense aura about them. Unfortunately, the cinematography is average, and so isn't as awe-inspiring as it could have been. But I did thoroughly enjoy the sights.
The musical score is gorgeous. Haunting, feverish, passionate sounds fade to dreamy romantic tunes when the scenes require it, and overall I loved the score. My only peeve is that I thought some scenes needed music - and yet they didn't have any.
The dialogue is dull and meaningless. It's so bland, pointless, and wastes opportunity after opportunity when it comes to Aurora and Jim's scenes, when backstory and important info need to be discussed. It's a waste.


The story isn't a bad idea. It's fascinating, actually, but there are times during the movie where I just wanted to laugh at the absurdity of it. It's ridiculously executed, and since there's so little depth to the world-building and characters, it's hard to suspend disbelief.
The solutions to the climax and other bumps in the story are also incredibly convenient and simplistic; there's no intelligence or originality to it at all.
So don't expect anything mind-blowing. The twists are predictable, and solutions expedient.  It's the kinda thing where you just have to "pull that one lever over there and it shuts down the whole operation". And obviously everyone over-sweats and fights to reach that one lever.
But the main problem with this film is how boring it is. There are spits of action, but they're far too up-and-down and lack proper consequences. Yet, the action isn't frequent; I suppose there's only so much you can make happen between two people in an empty spaceship. Even the other characters who appear are just plot-devices. It's slow, and it's tedious.
But the ending is intense and satisfying. And I did cry ;)


The acting is good. The writers clearly take advantage of their good-looking leads with hot make-out scenes and flattering outfits. But they aren't just pretty faces; they do act well. J. Law is as solid as she ever is, and I truly ached for Chris Pratt's character.
Not to mention their steamy, enthusiastic chemistry. It's heartfelt and genuine, and their romance did win me over.

There is no character development. Jim and Aurora's back stories are faintly touched on but never expanded upon, and what little is revealed does nothing to make them three-dimensional. At the end of the film they are as bland and flat as they were at the beginning.



Passengers is dull, and there's no meaningful dialogue or character development. But the visuals are stunning, and the movie glows with a Titanic-esque romance. 
It's not a bad film, but it could've been a lot better and a lot deeper. 


18 comments:

  1. That's a shame its dull, it looks like it would be a fantastic film if it has a little bit more substance. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, so true!
      Sure :) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I had wanted to see this but every review talks about too much romance, not enough action and boring. As much as I like the actors I'll be giving this a miss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just about to review this on my blog as well! I didn't like it as much as you though. :( I think it's because of how dull it was. I just couldn't get past how boring the movie was. It's supposed to be this thrilling movie, and instead I was almost falling asleep. I do think that Pratt and Lawrence did the best they could with the script they were given, and it's obvious that they work well together! I hope to see them work together again! Great review Amy! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow cool!! Can't wait to see what you thought!
      Yeah true. They certainly did, and yeah you're right!
      Thanks Genni :)

      Delete
  4. This one seemed to come and go from the theaters without much fanfare. As much as I like Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt there just wasn't enough to make me want to see it. Sounds like i didn't miss much! :)

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Lol, I feel you! I think that's why the few people did go to see it.
      You definitely didn't!

      Delete
  5. One of the things that really intrigued me about this movie is its premise-- I love sci-fi a ton. While it does seem slow, I'm so glad Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt performed well, as they are some pretty strong actors.

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love sci-fi and the actors, then maybe it'll work for you?
      Hope you've had a great start to the week, Abby!

      Delete
  6. Ah man... I was so worried this would be boring. I'm so glad I didn't pay to see it in theaters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear. This one sounds bad - but that cast!!!!!!!! It SHOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT! Sorry it was boring but at least you were well prepared for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR?! A waste of their talent!!
      Thanks Di, and good point :)

      Delete
  8. I've been curious about this one, but haven't sat down to watch it. I love both actors, so I want it to be fantastic! But I've only heard so-so reviews on it. Hrmmm...I might watch it still. Now I'm curious about this dull dialogue. lol.

    Thanks for the review!

    xo
    Bobbi

    http://www.bobbihearts.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's so disappointing :(
      Lol, it was really dull!

      Sure!

      Delete
  9. I couldn't get over what he did to her and then just how boring it was when it should have been oh so great? Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)