Friday, 21 July 2017

The Blog Squad: Part 19


We are a group of three book bloggers situated on different continents but brought together by our love for books and a penchant for talking about them. We’ve joined our forces to create a collaborative series of posts about book blogging and we hope you’ll enjoy the discussions. 

 A MAGICAL WORLD OF WORDS - AmyNikita 
 BOOKS.BAGS.BURGERS - Uma K 
 BOOK REVIEWS BY DI - Di Hewlett

Do you read other commenter's responses on discussion posts before making your own comment?  


I have to confess that I don’t always do this…. Sometimes it depends on how much time I have available to visit other blogs and often it depends on the type blog post I’m commenting on - if it’s a discussion post I’m much more likely to read the comments to see what the other commenters are saying/thinking. 

I’ve often read comments on book reviews on my favourite blogs and then followed these to discover new blogs and to connect with people that may have expressed a similar opinion to mine on a book OR that made me think about it from a different point of view.



I don’t do this always but sometimes if it’s a review for a book I’ve read and loved, I enjoy seeing what others thought of it. But I think most times I read the comments on a post after I have commented. I always read the comments everyone leaves on The Blog Squad posts on Amy and Di’s blogs. It’s wonderful to see what everyone thinks of our answers! 

Sometimes through comments on others’ blogs, I’ve discovered new blogs and made new friends! For example I discovered Lindsey and Cait through Di’s blog! I love their blogs so much and I’m so glad I found them! Reading the comments on others’ blogs is a great way of getting to know many a people’s thoughts on books I love and discussions I enjoy.


Have you ever responded to a comment on someone else's blog? 



I have done this, but only once or twice, and mostly when a comment was directed at me - like on a collab post or on a combined review for example. 

I definitely wish it’s something that I did more of, especially on other people’s discussion posts - I mean, isn’t that what a discussion post is all about? Bringing up a topic that we all want to talk about? I would love it if people read the other people’s comments on my blog and started a discussion between themselves! That would be awesome. I haven’t seen it happen on very many blogs at all though - and I’m not sure if it’s considered taboo, but I don’t see why it should be.



I have mostly done that with our Blog Squad posts where the comments are actually directed at me but otherwise I don’t think I have responded to others’ comments on someone else’s blog. I would like to though, especially on discussion posts that interest me but I’m kind of scared to do so! I do hope I’ll foray into that soon because as Di says, that’s what discussion posts are all about right?



Is it okay to have an opposed/conflicting opinion with another blogger and voice this on their blog in comments?


This is a tough one, because it seems that as book bloggers we are always supposed to be seen as agreeable and amiable and definitely NOT controversial. I’ll agree that this is the BEST blogging community out there for so many reasons, not the least of which being the incredible support you get from other book bloggers, but we have to remember that we are all entitled to our opinions and differing opinions can spark the best kind of discussions - so long as everyone keeps the interaction positive.


I haven’t had any hugely conflicting opinions with any other blogger I believe except maybe about books we don’t feel the same about? But almost every blogger I’ve met has been polite about saying they don’t like a book I like. But I do believe that since we’re all humans, we DEFINITELY have different opinions than others and that’s just natural! It’s all the different opinions that makes a person and discussing different opinions is so interesting and helps us see stuff from another’s point of view. So yeah, I think it’s definitely okay to disagree with other bloggers as long as you don’t fight over it. Everyone has the right to have their own opinion.


Come check out my answers over at their collab posts!: 



 We hope you’ve enjoyed Part 18 in our series of discussion posts! Please talk to us and let us know YOUR answers below. What do you think of our responses? 
If you have any specific questions you’d like us to address in the future, please let us know in the comments section below. Stay tuned for next week’s questions!

16 comments:

  1. Thanks ladies! You guys are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read other comments on a blog post, but I think usually after I make my own. Like Uma, I've found so many great blogs through the comments! Usually we have something in common if we're both commenting on the same post, so often I will go check out their blogs, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah good point! It's actually a great way to find like-minded bloggers!
      Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  3. Great post, ladies! Such an interesting topic. I rarely comment on other comments on the blogs I'm hopping on but I do read what people are saying, especially if it's a discussion post.

    Thank you for sharing!
    ~Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittany! And thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. I think there is a respectful way to disagree with someone, and I have seen it accomplished. Sometimes I read the other comments. I definitely read them when someone is asking for book recommendations, because I don't want to repeat a book, and I will often read them for discussion posts, because that's the point of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, and thank you for making those points, Sam :)
      Have a great rest of the weekend!

      Delete
  5. I've discovered new blogs through comments too and it's so cool when that happens! And I haven't often replied to other bloggers' comments on other blogs, but when people do it on my blog I like it lol because it generates more discussion. But yeah it can be a little intimidating to do it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is!
      Lol, same :) And it can.
      Thanks for the comment, Greg!

      Delete
  6. I love this idea! Very fun! I do like to read the other comments on blogs, especially on discussion posts. Sometimes I'll go and find new blogs through the comments, but I haven't had as much time to do that lately. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thank you Anna!
      Yeah you're right - it can definitely be time consuming :)

      Delete
  7. Yay, glad to read all your opinions!! :)
    Same with Uma. I usually read the post first and sometimes some of the comments. Mostly if the books are the ones I've read. I'm curious about what others thought of it.

    I think it's ok to have different opinions. As bloggers we review books based on our honest thoughts. It's never personal. I haven't had a problem stating my opinions, or seen others having problems because they give their honest thoughts. Thankfully! But if it does happen to some, I think we need to get used to different opinions. When someone has a different opinion, we need to remember (especially as book reviewers) that It's never personal. Don't think it as one.

    I always response to the comments when it is directed to me as well, but unfortunately, I usually dont get the notification of the response the blogger gives to my comment on her/his website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geybie!

      Yes so true. Great points. I love who you say that we must remember it isn't personal; so true.

      Yeah that is a pain :(

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. YESSS. This blogging community is so supportive and respectful. It's incredible and I feel so blessed to have met all the amazing bloggers I have <3

    I loved hearing you all discuss these topics!

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!! I am constantly in awe of the wonderful bloggers <3

      I'm so glad, thank you!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)