Saturday, 29 July 2017

THE LOST GIRL (The Lost Knight #2) - by Candy Atkins

THE LOST GIRL - Candy Atkins
Published: 2016 - Monster Publishing.
Genres: Middle grade / fantasy / adventure /
Pages: 290.
Format: Paperback.
Source: Thank you so much to the author for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review!


If Stratagor Ziras doesn't kill me, my training program will! Every day I wake up and go through the motions, but they've figured out that I’m not a Knight. I can’t ride, I can’t fight, I can’t do magic, and worst of all, I can’t see whatever it is I'm supposed to see in this stupid Orb. Nothing is what it seems here. Everyone says they want what's best for me, but who can I trust? The lying snake? The feathery crocodile trying to lock me away? The Queen who wants me dead? Or the devil himself? I don’t know what I’m more afraid of—the enemies that have made several attempts on my life, or my allies now that they know they've made a huge a mistake.


I loved the first book in this series. And although this book didn't blow me away, it's still a beautiful, heartwarming, and definitely underappreciated treasure of a story. It's the kind of book that makes you happy to be alive.


The world building is beautifully and incredibly detailed, and we get to see so much more of Agatha's new home. There's the politics, the society, the town, the castle, the magic system....everything gets expanded upon and it's effortless and natural.

Not once was I bored. The story's entertaining, funny, deliciously imaginative, and spectacularly quirky and unique. The writing is rich, colourful, and never flowery. I loved every minute of the tale - even if the story was quieter and more "chilled out" than the first book, which had spanned a physical journey.
My only tiny criticism with the story is that it's too rushed in sections.

And now I have to talk adorableness!!! This book is basically is need of a huge hug, and I volunteer as tribute. It's so pure, so clean, so heartwarming, and so ABSOLUTELY CUTE AND ADORABLE I LITERALLY COULDN'T BREATHE SOMETIMES. I was dying of its cuteness. My insides were frequently melting in a warm, fuzzy goo.

The cast grows drastically in this second book. It is hard to try keep track of them all, and I admit I struggled to define everyone's personalities; they aren't all as vivid as the leads and need more rounding.
But I loved the added depth to Dathid's character and I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about him. (FYI: I don't know if you're permitted to crush on a character in a MG novel, but I REALLY LOVE DATHID. I SWOON A LOT WHEN HE'S AROUND. Sorry kids).
I'm also so glad there are two new female characters as well: Solara and Levise. Agatha doesn't interact them much, but I hope she'll get closer to them in the next book. She needs some female friendships.

Agatha's still a fantastic heroine. She's so amazingly relatable and flawed and human, and I love that she has to work for everything; she really has to pick herself up time and time again, and when she does succeed, it's because she's learnt valuable lessons and persisted. Her emotional growth in this novel is also excellent.




I'm not a big fan of Middle Grade, but this series is one of the best series I've ever read. The humanness of its heroine, the abstract but deliciously creative storytelling, and the wealth of the world building come together to concoct a wonderful and heartwarming tale you'll utterly lose yourself in.
It's not as good as the first book, but it's still fantastic.



6 comments:

  1. Gosh this cover is stunning!! So glad to hear you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is! Thanks Erica :)

      Delete
  2. That's great to hear you enjoyed this sequel! A fast pace and a big cast of characters don't make the greatest combination, but it sounds like the storytelling and worldbuilding really made the book stand out. I'm not a huge fan of middle grade either, but there's a couple of gems that I eventually want to read. Great interview Amy. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, good point, that was a big confusing at times :( But true, the storytelling and world building definitely stood out!
      Thanks Genni :)

      Delete
  3. I confess I basically never read middle gread books, but this one sounds fascinating, and the cover truly lovely! Really glad you had such a fantastic time with it, you might say that you managed to spark my curiosity quite a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same :) But yeah, this one is really good!
      Yay! Go read it! Haha

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)