Tuesday, 4 July 2017

#VoicesofYA Tag!


Thank you to Caitlin @ Quills & Coffee for tagging me for Voices of YA! And I'm SO SORRY it's taken me literally months to get round to answering!

RULES: 
- Thank the person who tagged you 
-Link to the original creator  
- Answer the ten questions 
- Tag at LEAST two other YA writers/bloggers



ABOUT THE WRITERS: 


What draws you to YA? Describe your writing process. 

I think a big part of my choosing to write YA is because I'm a teen myself. Young adult comes easier to me because I'm writing about characters I can - usually - relate to. I can also draw on a lot of my own teenage experiences, and at this stage they're still vivid and easy to tap into.
But I also think that it's the teenage years themselves that hold such power for stories. The life of a young adult is so complicated and extremely dynamic, and it's things like "first love, first job, teen angst, parent-child dynamics and conflict, etc etc" that have such amazing potential. I love love love exploring them!

Do you like outlines and structure, or seeing where the story takes you? 

I LOVE outlines and structure. I always write an outline before I start writing: detailing every scene, the characters involved in each scene, and the goal and conflict of the scene. I might take a detour if the story and characters prompt it, but at least while writing the first draft I always have an idea where I'm headed.

How long have you been writing? Where are you in your journey? 

I've been writing since I was about twelve. Back then I wrote more ten books, most of them short stores about The Tudors (an era and family I was obsessed with at the time).
I also wrote a trilogy about Robin Hood (another obsession stage I underwent, having loved the BBC TV series of the same name). It was more of a fanfic spun off the TV series, I guess, but I had a lot of fun with those books.

Since last year, I've been obsessed with fairy tales (blame OUAT). As a result, I'm now writing retellings. For the moment I'm not worrying about publishing; I've just having fun and seeing how I can improve my skills.

What do you need to write? Coffee? Music?

Hmm, I don't think I need anything. I'll listen to music a lot before I start writing (I have a playlist for each of my novels and for all the characters) but I can't write and have music going at the same time; it's too distracting.
I drink a lot of coffee, but usually not when I'm writing ;)

I guess one thing I do need is my outline (and story notes). I spread them out on my desk and write with them around me - it keeps me on track.


 If you could offer one piece of advice to another writer (OTHER THAN “don’t give up”), what would it be? 

Write from the heart. Write your story, the way only you can. Make it simple, make it real, make it raw. Throw your soul into the words and mean every single one. This is yours: tell your story and power it with blood, sweat, tears, and so, so much heart   



ABOUT THE BOOKS: 


What book still has you reeling from its plot twist? (*no spoilers please*) 

That is hard. I think I'll go with Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer. It's such a heartbreaking and incredible book, and the twists literally left me breathless and with my mouth gaping.

What books are you most anticipating for this year? 

CAN WE JUST TAKE A MOMENT TO APPRECIATE ALL THE AMAZING BOOKS THAT HAVE COME OR ARE COMING THIS YEAR?! There have been SO many incredible ones, and I am anticipating SO many.

But. To narrow it down:
- Warcross by Marie Lu
- Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo
- Hunting Prince Dracula by Kerri Maniscalco

And some that have already come out but I haven't read yet:
- Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenselelr
- Frostblood by Elly Blake.
Ever the Hunted by Erin Summerhill.
- Flame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh.


In your opinion, which YA book/series has the most unique premise? 

HARD QUESTION. I really don't know. No book is truly unique, I think, but it's all about the way the author approaches that well-worn subject.


What is your all-time favorite quote from YA lit (I know, I’m cruel)? 

You are cruel, Caitlin! JUST ONE?! This is literally impossible and my heart is dying trying to narrow my choices down.
*sigh*
But I think I'll go with this darling from Crooked Kingdom:


“I would have come for you. And if I couldn't walk, I'd crawl to you, and no matter how broken we were, we'd fight our way out together-knives drawn, pistols blazing. Because that's what we do. We never stop fighting.”


What book do you most hope will have a movie adaption?

I would love to see Sisters Red by Jackson Piece as a film. IT WOULD BE SO AWESOME.



I tag......


Uma @ Books.Bags.Burgers

Lauryn @ Lauryn April Author

Sarah @ Whispering Words

The questions:

ABOUT THE WRITERS:
What draws you to YA?
Describe your writing process. Do you like outlines and structure, or seeing where the story takes you?
How long have you been writing? Where are you in your journey?
What do you need to write? Coffee? Music?
If you could offer one piece of advice to another writer (OTHER THAN “don’t give up”), what would it be?

ABOUT THE BOOKS:
What book still has you reeling from its plot twist? (*no spoilers please*)
What books are you most anticipating for this year?
In your opinion, which YA book/series has the most unique premise?
What is your all-time favorite quote from YA lit (I know, I’m cruel)?
What book do you most hope will have a movie adaption?




And anyone else who'd like to do the tag, please go ahead!
And feel free to tag me or Caitlin on Twitter, etc, if you decide to do it so we can come check out your answers! 

10 comments:

  1. I love The Tudors!! Come to think of it, I would actually love a YA rebelling of them haha! I would go mental over it! I do not outline when writing at all, it's a terrible habit. My teacher is always telling me to plan before I write but I just have to go into it randomly and see where it takes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay that's so cool to know!! And oh my word that's such a good idea - thanks for the inspiration ;)
      I totally get that :) Lol, that is frustrating if she doesn't get your style of doing it.

      Thanks for the comment, Emily!

      Delete
  2. This is such an interesting tag!
    Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your answers! <3 Ahhh you always remind me of books I need to read! My TBR is so huge now haha. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa! <3
      Hehe sorry about that ;) But a TBR can never be too huge right?!

      Delete
  4. I agree that it all tumbles down towards how the author writes in order to say, "Hey, that series stands out." I'm so excited for Warcross-- I cannot wait to read it!

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five* :)
      Hope we both get to read it soon! It does look amazing.

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)